Pitman keeps Howe run going

Adam Clayton struck a late penalty to rescue a 1-1 draw for

10-man Huddersfield in their Championship clash at Charlton.

The Terriers saw Keith Southern dismissed in the first half at

The Valley on Saturday and fell behind to Rob Hulse’s effort after

60 minutes.

But Simon Grayson’s men are made of stern stuff and they hit

back with two minutes to play as Clayton kept his cool to net his

first goal in 12 matches.

Boss Chris Powell handed Arsenal loanee Emmanuel Frimpong his

Addicks debut, while the visitors lined up without the attacking

trio of Jermaine Beckford, James Vaughan and Sean Scannell.

Huddersfield spurned a glorious chance to open the scoring

inside the opening two minutes. Clayton’s shot was cleared off the

line and the loose ball fell kindly for Peter Clarke but the

defender, without a goal in 47 games, skied his effort over the


Terriers defender Paul Dixon picked up a booking midway through

the first half when he brought down Bradley Pritchard, but Johnnie

Jackson’s subsequent free-kick was punched clear by Alex


Referee Lee Collins produced another card 10 minutes later, but

this time a red one for Southern as he arrived second to the ball

and ended up sliding through Michael Morrison in the middle of the


With their numerical advantage, Charlton’s threat was bound to

increase and some neat footwork from Ricardo Fuller opened up a

chance for him to shoot late in the first half, but he dragged his

effort wide.

Hulse headed over on the hour mark from Chris Solly’s cross but

made amends shortly after when he opened the scoring. Pritchard

whipped in a cross from the right and Hulse was on hand to turn

home from close range.

Frimpong’s impressive debut was curtailed after 66 minutes as he

appeared to tweak a muscle when testing Smithies with a well-struck


Grayson summoned Alan Lee from the bench for the final 13

minutes and he was one of a host of Terriers players appealing for

a handball against Salim Kerkar in the box, but Collins waved play


There was a different outcome in the 88th minute when Solly went

to clear a cross but caught Clarke late and the ref pointed to the

spot. Clayton stepped up and drove a powerful penalty past Ben

Hamer to deny Charlton their fourth win on the bounce.

The visitors had Smithies to thank for preserving their point as

he somehow kept out Hulse’s effort from point-blank range.

Pitman, on his second debut for the Cherries after sealing a

loan move from Bristol City in midweek, robbed Ethan Ebanks-Landell

before curling home a shot from 18 yards in Saturday’s League One

clash at Gigg Lane.

Bury went in front in the 15th minute when Matt Doherty crossed

from the right and loan striker Troy Hewitt swept the ball home

from six yards for his second goal in two games.

Bury’s Peter Sweeney curled in a free-kick which veteran

ex-England goalkeeper David James saved brilliantly, while the

Cherries hit back with former Bury midfielder Marc Pugh seeing a

shot blocked.

Doherty’s header was then blocked by a combination of the post

and Bournemouth’s Charlie Daniels, who created Bournemouth’s

equaliser just before the hour-mark as his cross was slotted home

by Lewis Grabban from six yards.

Bury went back in front with 12 minutes left as David Worrall

pounced to beat James after his initial shot had rebounded back to

him off Miles Addison, but Pitman kept Howe’s unbeaten run