Park Life for Utd, late Fulham joy

Park Ji-sung scored in the third minute of stoppage-time as United

snatched a dramatic victory over Wolves to move to within two

points of Chelsea at the top of the Premier League. Park had put

United ahead on the stroke of half-time but former Old Trafford

trainee Sylvan Ebanks-Blake levelled from close range midway

through the second half moments after coming off the bench. United

looked set for another draw but Park rescued them on what was the

24th anniversary of Sir Alex Ferguson’s appointment as manager. It

was not all good news for United, though, with Owen Hargreaves

limping off just six minutes into his first senior start for more

than two years. The defeat kept Wolves second bottom of the table,

two points ahead of West Ham, who blew the chance to record their

first away win in the league since the opening day of last season

as Birmingham came from 2-0 down to draw at St Andrew’s. Frederic

Piquionne and Valon Behrami gave the rock-bottom Hammers a deserved

two-goal advantage and Victor Obinna and Carlton Cole also hit the

woodwork. But Cameron Jerome quickly pulled a goal back and Liam

Ridgewell levelled to leave the visitors clinging on. Asamoah Gyan

marked his first Premier League start with a double as Sunderland

scored a highly-controversial 2-0 win over 10-man Stoke. Gyan

opened the scoring after nine minutes and Steed Malbranque saw a

weak penalty saved by Asmir Begovic. Stoke thought they had

levelled through former Black Cats striker Kenwyne Jones’ header,

which was adjudged not to have crossed the line. However, Lee

Cattermole also appeared to handle the ball, much to the fury of

the visitors, who saw captain Ryan Shawcross sent off before Gyan

netted his second. There was also controversy at Ewood Park as

Blackburn hauled themselves out of the relegation zone at Wigan’s

expense with a 2-1 win. Morten Gamst Pedersen blasted in a

free-kick from way out on the right to put Rovers ahead in the 58th

minute before Jason Roberts scored a hotly-disputed second, with

the visiting defence appealing for offside. Charles N’Zogbia, who

had seen a first-half goal chalked off, set up a nervy finish with

a brilliant free-kick. Blackpool twice threw away the lead within

moments of scoring as they drew 2-2 with Everton. Neil Eardley

celebrated his 22nd birthday with a brilliant free-kick to put the

Tangerines ahead but Tim Cahill levelled just three minutes later

with a powerful header. David Vaughan restored Blackpool’s

advantage three minutes after half-time as the visitors appealed

for handball but home goalkeeper Matt Gilks allowed Seamus

Coleman’s shot to squirm underneath him two minutes later as the

sides shared the spoils. Brede Hangeland scored deep into stoppage

time to rescue a 1-1 draw for Fulham against Aston Villa. Villa had

led since the 41st minute thanks to Marc Albrighton’s superb

strike. In the lunchtime kick-off, Bolton stopped Champions League

heroes Tottenham in their tracks after surviving a late scare at

the Reebok Stadium. The home side raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to

two goals from Kevin Davies, one from the penalty spot, and Gretar

Steinsson. But Spurs, conquerors of Inter Milan in midweek, hit

back with Alan Hutton and substitute Roman Pavlyuchenko scoring in

the last 11 minutes only for Martin Petrov to step off the bench

and seal Bolton’s victory.