Pardew: Door not shut on Barton

Barton has been made available on a free transfer by the Magpies

after his recent criticism of the club on the social networking

site. The 28-year-old has since tweeted quotes from the likes of

George Washington and George Orwell to underline his displeasure

and on Tuesday was forced to train alone. At that point he looked

certain to leave the club this summer, with his agent Willie McKay

claiming several clubs had already shown their interest, but a hint

of compromise appeared to be struck between the parties today.

Barton was allowed to train with the reserve team this morning

before Pardew appeared at a press conference where he declared he

would “not close the door” on Barton’s time at St James’ Park.

“I’ve never closed the door on anyone and I’m not closing the door

on Joey,” he said in a press conference shown on Sky Sports News.

“He trained with the development team today and, who knows, he may

train with the first-team soon.” Moments later Barton offered

further hope of a reconciliation, ironically on his Twitter page,

when he made reference to world-renowned bridge builder Isambard

Kingdom Brunel. “Does anybody have Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s

number?” he wrote. Pardew is understandably reluctant to allow a

player of Barton’s stature to simply leave after he was a key

figure as the Magpies comfortably remained in the top flight

following promotion last term. The former West Ham boss is hopeful

a resolution can be found with the Magpies’ home opener against

Arsenal – a club linked with Barton – just 10 days away, although

he stressed the midfielder would need to show some contrition.

“It’s a situation I didn’t envisage being in,” he added. “Joey is a

great player and you want great players in your team. “It’s very

important as a football club that you are all pulling in the same

direction – at this moment of time where Joey is not pulling in the

same direction. “That’s not to say that can’t change in a short

period of time. “I’m still reflecting on the situation, as is Joey

at this present time, on how best to resolve this issue. “I think

that is important at the moment.” Pardew believes the situation

could have been defused immediately had it not been for Twitter.

“Maybe if it wasn’t for Twitter and this instant media it may have

got resolved on Monday morning with me and Joey in my office,” he

added. “The problem with Twitter – we need to get a hold of this.

“We have got nothing from the Premier League on how to deal with

this.” The Magpies boss has even called for the counsel of

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on the subject, as he

looks to provide a guideline to direct his players’ use of the

website. “I spoke with Sir Alex Ferguson today and he’s had this

problem with Twitter before,” he added. “You cannot be critical of

the club within a personal account. You shouldn’t do that on your

own account. “We’re now following the guide that Sir Alex has said

they have done (at Manchester United). “I’m not against those

sites, and I don’t think many managers in the Premier League are,

but they have to be careful not to mention the football club.”

Newcastle earlier released a statement to state Barton’s future

would not be discussed. It read: “We understand the level of

interest in the club’s decision to offer Joey Barton a free

transfer. “However, it would not be dignified, nor would it serve

any useful purpose at this present time, for either the club or

Joey to air their private issues on this matter in public. “The

club and the player have important business to focus on over the

coming days and both parties have come to an agreement that we will

not comment further at this time.” Thursday’s developments came

after the Magpies were told they had little hope of succeeding in a

bid for midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta. Barnetta’s British

representative Barry McIntosh told the club they had “no hope in

hell” of luring the Bayer Leverkusen winger after claiming they had

offered him wages of £40,000 per week. Pardew was unwilling to

respond to those comments and, while admitting he needed to bring

in new players, denied he had begun to search for Barton’s

replacement. “It’s obvious we need to resolve the Joey situation.

We also need to bring some players into this club,” he added. “We

need a signing or two. I haven’t even considered that (Barton’s

replacement). Like I said, it is a time for reflection. “In terms

of those comments (from McIntosh) I’m not even going to go there.

To say £40,000 is a derisory offer – that’s ridiculous.” Two

players who look set to leave the club, however, are Jose Enrique

and Wayne Routledge. Pardew expects full-back Enrique to play in

Saturday’s friendly against Fiorentina, despite being strongly

linked with Liverpool, while Routledge looks closer to finalising a

move to Swansea. “Enrique is still here and will play on Saturday,”

he added. “I don’t see issue that he won’t start. I know there’s

interest in Jose, but no concrete interest. We are poised to react

to that. “As for Wayne I’m not sure if that deal is finalised but I

believe it is very close.”