Pack’s regret at paying penalty

Former Wolves goalkeeper Matt Murray says the next manager at

Molineux faces a “massive task” following the sacking of Dean

Saunders on Tuesday.

Wolves dismissed Saunders, who only took charge in January,

following the club’s relegation to League One, with Owen Coyle,

Darren Ferguson and Kenny Jackett – who resigned from his Millwall

post on Tuesday morning – installed as the early favourites to

replace him.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Dave Jones, who spent nearly three

years in charge at Wolves, has also been linked to a return to


And Murray, who retired in 2010 after an injury-plagued 12 years

at the club, said Wolves will find it difficult to bounce back.

“The Wolves players have to realise that in every single game

they’re going to be a massive scalp,” Murray said.

“In the Championship Wolves are a big scalp, but in League One

other clubs will go there desperate to play them and when they go

away to these teams, it’s going to be a lion’s den.

“But everything is geared up there with all the staff behind the

scenes and everything else and the budget.

“I think they’ve still got ?16million of parachute payments and

everything else, then I believe Wolves can get back.

“But the appointment, the person who comes in, it’s a massive

task just to lift the whole place.”

With a number of men lined up to replace Saunders, Murray says

the club needs someone to install confidence back into the recently

relegated side.

“Owen Coyle is obviously proven and has taken Burnley out of the

Championship, has done well with Bolton as well and is very

likeable, so he would come in with enthusiasm,” he said.

“I think the club and fans want to see someone lift the place,

give them that confidence.

“They’ve gone with a couple of inexperienced people, now they

want to go with people who have a bit more experience.

“I live in the Wolves area and people would like to see Dave

Jones come back for example.”

Trailing 1-0 from the play-off first leg, the Robins were handed

a chance to level the tie with the player’s 14th-minute spot-kick

but his effort was saved by Cobblers goalkeeper Lee Nicholls.

Mark Yates’ side went on to lose 2-0 on aggregate and Pack was

left deeply upset with his last game for the club.

“I feel like I’ve let everyone down and it’s hard to take at the

minute,” he told BBC Gloucestershire. “I’m distraught and it’s

going to take me a while to get over it.

“I’ve scored three penalties this year and I was wondering

whether to change my mind but I stuck to my guns and the keeper

pulled off the save.

“I love this sport but right now it’s a ruthless one.”

Pack, 22, came close to leaving the club in January and is

expected to leave this summer.

“I’ve had a great two seasons but it’s not the way I would have

liked to have finished,” Pack added

“I want to thank everyone for the time I’ve had here. I’ve grown

up here and as a player I’ve matured.

“It will be a time that will always be close to my heart

throughout my career. The fans have been great to me since day one

and I can’t thank them enough for that.”