Oman board quits to try to avoid FIFA suspension

The board of Oman’s Football Association has quit in an effort

appease FIFA after being threatened with suspension from playing

2014 World Cup qualifiers for breaching rules on taking disputes to

court.

The resignation Monday comes after three Oman clubs successfully

challenged last year’s board elections in court in June. FIFA

reminded OFA in July that it faces ”immediate and indefinite

suspension” if the court’s ruling award is upheld.

Rather than honor the court ruling, the board said in a

statement that new elections are now scheduled for Sept. 27.

The board says it hopes the new elections would ”end the

current crisis” and satisfy FIFA ahead of Oman’s next World Cup

qualifier against Jordan on Oct. 16.