Nolan’s Toon crushed by Trotters

Nolan gave away an early penalty and could do nothing to prevent

his old club soaring to the dizzy heights of fourth in the table.

Kevin Davies hit a brace from the spot and in-form Johan Elmander

also scored two as Owen Coyle’s men brushed aside the beleaguered

Magpies, who finished with 10 men after the late sending-off of

Fabricio Coloccini. Nolan’s first appearance at the Reebok Stadium

since his £4million move to Newcastle in January last year had

started with a rousing reception from the home fans but quickly

turned sour as Chris Hughton’s men slid to a dismal defeat. Nolan

could have given his side a stunning advantage after less than a

minute, when he seized on a mistake by Paul Robinson and cut into

the box from the right where he blazed a fine chance high and wide.

Nolan and Newcastle came to rue that miss as the home side began to

get a grip on the game had their first chance in the 15th minute

when Chung-yong Lee crossed from the right and almost found Fabrice

Muamba in front of goal. Nolan’s return got worse three minutes

later when he handled an attempted cross by Lee in the box and

referee Howard Webb pointed to the spot, Davies striking low to Tim

Krul’s left to give Bolton the lead. With Bolton now well on top,

Davies tried a left-foot snap-shot which Krul held at the second

attempt, then he almost shrugged off the attention of three

defenders to create a 27th minute chance before Danny Simpson

intervened. The visitors fashioned a rare chance in the 31st minute

when Jose Enrique got round the back of the Bolton defence and

dribbled a deep cross which was missed in the box by Carroll,

making a sluggish return from midweek England duty. Mike

Williamson’s foul on Elmander led to Bolton’s second in the 38th

minute. Matt Taylor slammed his free-kick against the bar and as

Newcastle blundered their attempts to clear, the ball sprang loose

to Lee who fired low past Krul. Lee came close to a second when he

just failed to connect with a Davies cross, but Newcastle could

have reduced the deficit in the last minute of the half when

Carroll just missed a Danny Guthrie cross. Bolton could have gone

further ahead within two minutes of the re-start when Taylor was

given an alarming amount of space on the left but his cross towards

the unmarked Davies was cut out by Enrique. And the home side did

make it three in the 50th minute when Lee fed Davies, whose superb

short pass sent Elmander clear to coolly dribble round Krul and

convert home his seventh goal of the season. Newcastle reduced the

deficit out of nowhere just a minute later when Ameobi’s attempted

pass struck Stuart Holden’s legs and deflected clear to Carroll,

who fired low to Jaaskelainen’s left to give his side a glimmer of

hope. As the game continued to open up, Gary Cahill rammed a

left-foot shot just wide from long-range and the Magpies fired

another warning with Jonas Gutierrez’s left-wing cross just missing

Nolan and the diving Carroll in the box. Nolan was booked for

barging Elmander as the pair chased a loose ball on the edge of the

box before Taylor slammed the resulting free-kick into the wall as

Coyle’s men pushed for a match-winning fourth. It duly arrived in

the 72nd minutes when Elmander was first to a long ball up-field

from Jaaskelainen, shrugging off Coloccini before sliding the ball

under the advancing Krul. Things got worse for Newcastle in the

75th minute when Coloccini appeared to elbow Elmander as they

battled for possession down the right flank, and the full-back was

red-carded by referee Webb. Williamson slammed a shot over the bar

on 85 minutes and Ivan Klasnic came close for Bolton before Davies

rounded off the rout with a second spot-kick in injury time after

he was fouled by Enrique in the box.