Newcastle beats Bolton 2-0 in Premier League

Newcastle broke out of its recent slump by scoring two goals in

a two-minute span in the second half to secure a 2-0 victory over

struggling Bolton in the Premier League on Monday.

Hatem Ben Arfa scored his first goal in more than a year in the

69th minute and Demba Ba added the second two minutes later to end

a run of five straight losses for the Magpies.

Both sides struggled to create chances in the first half,

although Newcastle’s Ryan Taylor drew a good save from Jussi

Jaaskelainen with a 14th-minute free kick. Bolton nearly took the

lead six minutes before halftime, as when Martin Petrov’s free kick

was heading for the bottom corner until Tim Krul thrust out a


Leon Best had the final chance of the half when he was picked

out by Ryan Taylor’s corner but he could only manage a glancing

header and guided the ball well wide.

Bolton’s season was summed up by a sequence of play in the 55th

minute. First Robinson found Ngog with a good ball down the left

and Klasnic eventually picked up the striker’s cross-shot only to

trip himself up as he looked to get a shot away.

Bolton looked more of a threat going forward and Petrov lashed

an effort just wide of the far post.

But in the 69th minute they went behind as Newcastle at last put

together a move of real quality, ending with Taylor crossing for

Ben Arfa to crisply volley in only his second goal for the club and

his first since September 2010, shortly before he suffered a broken

leg against Manchester City.

And two minutes later the game was all but over as poor

defending from Paul Robinson let in Obertan down the right and his

cross was clipped in by Ba despite the best efforts of Gary


It was Ba’s 14th goal of the season, and he almost added another

moments later but this time Jaaskelainen was quickly off his line

to block.

Boos rang out at the final whistle, with the result meaning

Bolton stays three points from safety and now only one point above

bottom side Blackburn.