Namibia FA complains over Burkina Faso player
Namibia Football Association officials said Tuesday they have
lodged a formal protest after suspecting Burkina Faso of fielding
an ineligible player in two African Cup of Nations qualifying
NFA president John Muinjo and secretary general Barry Rukoro
both told The Associated Press their association has complained to
the Confederation of African Football over Burkina Faso’s
Cameroon-born defender Herve Zengue, who they believe does not meet
FIFA rules of eligibility.
Zengue played in Burkina Faso’s 4-1 win over Namibia in Windhoek
on Saturday, which ended Namibia’s hopes of reaching next year’s
He also played in a game between the countries on March 26 which
Burkina Faso won 4-0 – just a day after he was supposedly granted a
FIFA laws say a player has to apply to the world governing body
for a change of nationality after being granted a new
”The fact that he (Zengue) became a Burkina Faso national is
not enough to make him eligible to play in this (March 26) match,”
NFA secretary general Rukoro said. ”There are a lot of other
procedures that he must have to adhere to.
”It’s fine if he did that but we cannot take chances and accept
that he might have done that.”
Burkina Faso leads the three-team Group F in Cup of Nations
qualifying and will reach the tournament if Gambia does not beat
Namibia in September.
CAF could disqualify Burkina Faso from the competition if the
27-year-old Zengue, who plays for Terek Grozny, is found to be
Last month, the continent’s ruling body threw Africa’s reigning
club champion – TP Mazembe of Congo – out of the African Champions
League for fielding a player who was registered with another club
and therefore ineligible.