Mourinho says Ivanovic has moved on
Ivanovic and Suarez are set to go head-to-head on Sunday for the first time since the Uruguayan’s infamous bite on the Chelsea defender last season.
Suarez was handed a 10-game ban for biting Ivanovic’s arm during a 2-2 draw between the two sides at Anfield last April, with the striker later apologizing to Ivanovic in a phone call.
Mourinho claims Ivanovic has moved on from the incident and that there will be no bad blood between the two players at Stamford Bridge.
"This was a big thing, but Iva thinks it’s something from the past," said Mourinho.
"Everyone moves on – he’s moved on. I think Iva is a big guy. When I say ‘big guy’, I mean big, strong heart, big strong personality. He’s not a Mickey Mouse player who complains at little things."
Liverpool chief Brendan Rodgers believes the biting incident was a turning point in Suarez’s career.
The striker has bounced back from the ban to lead Liverpool’s assault for a top four finish with a number of stellar performances this season.
Suarez, who has scored 19 goals in 13 Premier League games since his return from suspension, signed a new deal earlier this month and has taken the captain’s armband in the absence of the injured Steven Gerrard.
Rodgers is not expecting any backlash from Ivanovic and feels Suarez has now matured on and off the pitch since the saga.
"I think it will prove to be a turning point in his career. He’s been brilliant in his return both on and off the field so I do not expect any backlash from that."