Moses fires Wigan to victory

The 19-year-old showed remarkable maturity in front of goal to

steer his effort beyond West Brom goalkeeper Scott Carson and into

the corner. Moses had good cause for celebration in the 70th minute

as it was his first league goal this season, although he found the

target in the Carling Cup victory against Hartlepool. It was a cool

finish by the midfielder, who arrived from Crystal Palace at the

end of January transfer window for £2.5million. Wigan went

into the match having scored only nine goals in 12 league games but

with renewed confidence after drawing with Liverpool in midweek.

They almost made the breakthrough in the second minute following a

deep cross from Ronnie Stam. He found Tom Cleverley in acres of

space but the midfielder, on loan from Manchester United, saw his

effort turned away on the line by Pablo Ibanez. A minute later the

visitors were pegged back again when striker Hugo Rodallega

released Charles N’Zogbia inside the area but he stumbled and the

move broke down. Wigan were forced to make a change in the 17th

minute when defender Gary Caldwell limped off and was replaced by

his brother Steven, who arrived in the summer after playing for

Burnley last season. West Brom stepped up the pace and Peter

Odemwingie raced to the byline in the 26th minute. He cut the ball

back into the area but there was no-one on hand to take advantage

and Antolin Alcaraz made the clearance. Odemwingie was beginning to

find a lot of room and broke free – only to send his powerful shot

narrowly wide of the post. Back came Wigan and Alcaraz escaped his

marker in the 35th minute when N’Zogbia floated in a corner.

Alcaraz, however, only succeeded in sending a free header over the

bar from a good position. West Brom responded and seven minutes

later and Steven Reid delivered a long throw into the area. Paul

Scharner, back at his former club, flicked the ball on and James

Morrison got a decent connection, only to see his effort deflected

to safety. Scharner then saw his shot blocked a minute before

half-time after Wigan had failed to deal with a fine inswinging

free-kick from Chris Brunt. Moses came on at the start of the

second half for Jordi Gomez and he quickly made an impact, racing

away down the right. However, his cross in the 50th minute went

behind the waiting N’Zogbia. West Brom appealed for a penalty in

the 55th minute when Caldwell tripped Odemwingie as he cut inside.

Instead referee Anthony Taylor awarded a free-kick on the edge of

the area and Brunt’s effort came back off the wall. Wigan made the

vital breakthrough in the 70th minute through Moses – and West Brom

went in search of the equaliser. Steven Reid went close before the

home side should have added a second goal in the 82nd minute.

Substitute Franco Di Santo found himself clear on goal as Albion

waited in vain for the whistle for offside – but he dragged his

effort wide. Marc-Antoine Fortune almost equalised at the end but

Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi blocked his shot to leave West Brom

frustrated. The newly-promoted side are beginning to find it hard

to win games after a bright start to the campaign.