Jose Luis Meiszner was one of 16 soccer officials indicted last week in connection with the sport's swelling corruption scandal.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina —
Jose Luis Meiszner, one of 16 soccer officials indicted last week in connection with the sport’s swelling corruption scandal, appeared Wednesday before an Argentine judge overseeing extradition proceedings.
Meiszner, former general secretary of South American soccer’s governing body, is being sought by U.S. authorities on racketeering and money-laundering charges.
Article continues below ...
Luis Daer, the attorney for Meiszner, says he will request the defendant be held by Argentine authorities until a decision is reached on extradition to the United States.
Daer says Meiszner is ”suffering from heart problems.” He also told reporters that Meiszner had ”symptoms of depression.”
Meiszner is the former president of Argentine club Quilmes. He resigned from his post with the region’s governing body just days before the indictments were unsealed last week.