McNamara named Tannadice boss

Blackburn have signed Everton striker Anton Forrester on a free


The 18-year-old has agreed a deal to keep him with the

Championship side until 2015 after a successful trial period.

Forrester joined the Toffees’ academy aged nine and went on to

feature regularly for the Under-16s and Under-18s.

More recently the youngster had been on the fringes of Alan

Stubbs’ development squad, making seven appearances for the

Under-21s this season.

The 24-year-old, sidelined for the last eight matches due to an

ankle ligament injury, was poised to return earlier but missed out

last week through illness.

“Josh Walker is back training and we’re delighted with that,”

manager Brian Laws told the club’s official website.

“He’d been ill, but he’s back now and is fighting for a spot in

the side. He strengthens us at a time when the squad isn’t the


Laws has also received a boost with regards to the fitness of

another midfielder, Damien Mozika, and defender Christian Ribeiro,

who have both been out with hamstring injuries sustained earlier

this month.

“Damien and Christian are about a couple of weeks away and are

progressing really well,” Laws added.

“It would be nice to get them back over this next couple of

weeks because we have a lot of games and our resources are

stretched to the maximum.”

League One Pompey have confirmed on their official website that

the hearing, which was due to be held on Thursday morning, will now

take place on February 14.

Two postponements have already been agreed to allow further

discussions between the administrator, PKF, and the club’s former

owner, Balram Chainrai.

Fans’ group the Pompey Supporters Trust want to take over the

club but their bid hinges on PKF gaining permission to sell the

Fratton Park ground, which is controlled by Chainrai.

The High Court case will set a valuation for the ground, with

both parties currently unable to agree on a price.

Portsmouth have been in administration since last February and

face a 10-point deduction if and when they exit.

Dundee United have unveiled Jackie McNamara as their new manager

on a three-year deal after the departure of Peter Houston.

The former Celtic captain has moved to Tannadice with assistant

Simon Donnelly after United agreed a deal with Partick Thistle.

McNamara replaces Houston, who left the club on Monday.

McNamara was unveiled at 4pm, two hours later than scheduled, as

the remaining legal issues of the contract were ironed out.

Partick Thistle, who sit second in the Irn-Bru First Division,

confirmed last night they had given United permission to speak to


In a statement, McNamara said “I am thrilled and proud to be

named manager of Dundee United and believe I have been handed a

fantastic opportunity.

“This is an established Scottish Premier League Club with a

fantastic playing squad, infrastructure and youth set up and I

cannot wait to start working with the players.

“When I spoke to the board of directors, we shared the same

vision and belief with regards to how Dundee United should


“This club has very strong foundations with the majority of the

first team squad under contract beyond this summer and a very

strong youth structure in place.

“I am sure the Dundee United supporters will appreciate how I

like to play the game and I look forward to working with everyone

connected with the club to take us forward.”

McNamara will begin his United career with the eagerly-awaited

William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round clash against Rangers at

Tannadice on Saturday.

United chairman Stephen Thompson added: “It was important that

we moved quickly to appoint a new manager, but it was equally

important that we undertook extensive homework to ensure the

correct appointment.

“We have worked on this for some time and after receiving great

interest in the position and undertaking a rigorous interview

process, it was clear to the board of directors that Jackie was the

outstanding candidate to take the club forward in the manner we