Masson pens two-year deal

Ipswich Town have landed teenage defender Tyrone Mings from

Chippenham Town on an 18-month contract.

The 19-year-old impressed while turning out for an Ipswich XI

against the Nike Academy on Monday.

Having done enough to convince Mick McCarthy that he is

deserving of a shot at the Championship, the youngster put pen to

paper on Thursday.

Mings has previously been on the books at Southampton and played

alongside Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the Saints academy system.

“Tyrone has a pedigree of being at a club with his time at

Southampton and through Russell (Osman) and Steve McCall, who

became aware of him, we brought him here on Monday to have a look

at him against the Nike Academy,” said McCarthy.

“He played left-back. He’s quick, he’s 6ft 3in, he loves a

tackle. He’s only 19 but plays the game like a bloke. He’s a good

talker, organises and we’re delighted to have him in.

“He’s going to be in and around the squad pretty quickly if he

shows everything he did on Monday.

“There is loads to work with. We are going to give him an

opportunity and it will be great if it works out.”


Mings added: “It’s just been a crazy time really.

“This time last week I was working as a mortgage broker.

Something I have been doing for nine months.

“Then I found out at the end of last week that Ipswich wanted me

to come in and play a friendly. After the game the manager said

he’d like to sign me and here we are. It’s been a bit of a


“There have been a few clubs said to be interested but nothing

has materialised until now. This is a life-changing opportunity for

me and I’ve got to make sure I take it.”

Wyke, 20, has been with Pools for the last two months and will

now stay until January 9.

Manager John Hughes told the club’s official website: “I’ve

liked what I’ve seen from Charlie since I came to the club.

“We’re very thankful for Middlesbrough’s help in allowing us to

extend the deal and I’m looking forward to seeing more of Charlie

in action in the coming month.

“He’s got a lot of talent and his attitude to work has been

fantastic so we’re delighted he’s going to be staying with us a

little longer.”

Wyke has made five appearances for struggling Hartlepool but has

yet to score.

Shiels, who made a personal appearance at Thursday’s Scottish

Football Association hearing at Hampden, will now start a minimum

three-match ban after a one-game suspension, hanging over him for

comments made about officials last season, was enforced.

Shiels was found to be in breach of SFA rules for comments made

in interviews following the Inverness match that “impinged upon the

character of a match official”.

One of the charges maintained Shiels had made comments in a

radio interview that suggested “the match official may bear a

grudge” against him were he to answer questions about Norris’


Shiels also said at the time: “I went to shake hands with the

referee and I didn’t say a word. I kept my emotions in check as

much as I could and then he said something sarcastic so I reported


“I don’t know what he said but it was something flippant.”

Asked if he had any complaints about goalkeeper Cammy Bell’s

dismissal in the November 3 fixture, Shiels said: “I’m not allowed

to tell the truth.

“(SFA compliance officer) Vincent Lunny won’t allow me to tell

the truth so I can’t talk about officials.

“It is the only industry in the world where you are not allowed

to tell the truth.”

The SFA noted that in a newspaper article reporting Bell’s

successful appeal against his dismissal, Shiels further suggested

Norris would not be acting with integrity if he failed to admit he

made a mistake.

The Northern Irishman escaped additional punishment by the SFA

panel after being sent to the stands by referee Stevie O’Reilly for

disputing his controversial decision to dismiss Manuel Pascal in a

match against St Johnstone at Rugby Park on November 24.

Shiels was found in breach of SFA rule 203, which relates to

misconduct, but the panel ruled no further sanction was


Today’s hearing comes after Shiels was given a two-match

touchline ban in June – one of which was suspended and subsequently

enforced today – after comments he made about refereeing decisions

in a match between Celtic and St Johnstone.

The Fraserburgh-born player follows Joe Shaughnessy in extending

his stay in the past seven days, after fellow teenager Ryan Fraser

turned down an offer.

The 19-year-old has made six appearances for the Dons, netting


He told the club’s website: “I spoke with my family and my agent

but it was a very simple decision in the end. Aberdeen is a good

club to be playing your football at.

“Hopefully I can repay the faith the management team have shown

in me by offering me the deal.”

Meanwhile, captain Russell Anderson could return for the

Scottish Premier League visit of Kilmarnock on Saturday after

missing the midweek cup win over Motherwell with a back injury.

Midfielder Stephen Hughes is also nearing a return after knee

and ankle injuries but is doubtful for the Killie clash.