Massimo Cellino says he is 'ashamed' he was barred from taking over Leeds United.
Dino Panato/Getty Images
Massimo Cellino has revealed his upset at learning he had been barred from completing his takeover of Leeds United.
Cellino declared himself ‘ashamed’ and said he was ready to ‘jump from the window’ after the Football League confirmed he had failed their owners’ and directors’ test in the wake of his tax offence conviction in Italy.
The announcement put the skids on his Eleonora Sport company completing the 75 per cent purchase it agreed at the start of February from current owners Gulf Finance House Capital.
Article continues below ...
GFH Capital remain interested in the project if Cellino is successful in an appeal, which must be launched in the next 14 days, but he appeared less than positive in an interview with the Guardian on Monday evening.
He said: "I’m not a dishonest man. If they say I did this, I am stupid. Why would I do something like this? Because I am a fool – I am stupid.
"There’s different justice in Italy. I prefer the English way, but I am in Italy unfortunately. I pay millions and millions at clubs and they [the courts] say I tried to screw them over for a small amount. It’s stupid. I could pay that tomorrow.
"I am not a dishonest crook. If I made a mistake, it was not on purpose. I’m shocked, I’m very shocked. I feel like I will disappear. I am so ashamed of myself, you have no idea. It’s not about the money at the moment.
"I didn’t try and do anything bad to Leeds, to anyone – I just wanted to do something good. I’m so shocked that I feel like I will jump from the window right now. I feel so ashamed.
"Why did they take two months to wait for the decision of the Italian court? I could have delayed the trial for one or two years if I had wanted."