Liverpool beats Chelsea 4-1 in Premier League

Liverpool took advantage of Chelsea’s erratic defending to earn

an emphatic 4-1 win on Tuesday, gaining a small measure of revenge

for Saturday’s FA Cup final loss and putting the Blues out of

contention for fourth place in the Premier League.

Three days after Chelsea beat Liverpool 2-1 at Wembley, the Reds

dominated from the start in their last home game of the season and

were up 3-0 within 30 minutes. While Stewart Downing missed a

penalty right before halftime and Ramires pulled one back for

Chelsea after the break, Jonjo Shelvey took advantage of backup

goalkeeper Ross Turnbull’s blunder to put the game away with his

first Premier League goal for Liverpool.

”It was an excellent performance,” Liverpool manager Kenny

Dalglish said. ”The pleasing thing is the performance was matched

by the result and also the fact the supporters could go away from

the final match of the season here with a smile on their


Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo made eight changes from

Saturday, and the players on the pitch seemed to already have their

minds on the Champions League final against Bayern Munich as they

looked lethargic throughout. A win against Bayern in Munich is now

the only route for Chelsea back into the Champions League next

season, as the loss means it cannot overtake Tottenham for fourth


”It wasn’t the team selection. We have to give credit to them

(Liverpool),” Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo said. ”We have

played with these players the whole season and they have carried us

so far and we still had a chance with two games to qualify for

fourth spot. … But you know how demanding it has been for us – we

have played every three days in the last eight weeks – and I

thought tonight I thought a team which was energetic and fresh

mentally would give us a chance.”

Captain John Terry was one of the few holdovers from Wembley,

but had a horrendous start to the game. Luis Suarez easily went

past him as he produced a great run down the right side and into

the area, and the Uruguay forward’s attempted cross was knocked by

Michael Essien into his own net in the 19th minute.

Terry then slipped six minutes later to set Jordan Henderson

free on goal, and the Liverpool player calmly slotted the ball past

Turnbull. It was a similar scene to Terry’s slip during Chelsea’s

5-3 loss against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge earlier this season,

which set Robin van Persie free to score.

Three minutes later, Andy Carroll headed the ball down for

Daniel Agger to make it 3-0 and effectively make sure of a

Liverpool victory in the last game at Anfield this season.

The hosts looked likely to add a few more, as Stewart Downing

blasted a great volley from outside the area against the crossbar

before Carroll was knocked down in the area by Branislav Ivanovic

for a penalty on the stroke of halftime. However, Downing hit the

woodwork again, sending his spot kick against the post to leave

Chelsea with a flicker of hope going into the break.

That hope grew when Ramires pushed the ball over the line

following a scramble in the area in the 50th, but another defensive

mistake cost Chelsea again. Turnbull sent an attempted clearance

straight at Shelvey, who blasted the ball into an empty net from 30

yards in the 61st to give Liverpool its biggest Premier League

victory of the season.