Laws demands away improvement

A short Tyrone Mears back-header and a wicked deflection off Clarke

Carlisle contrived to serve up a 2-1 win for Wolves at Turf Moor

which lifted Mick McCarthy’s visitors clear of the bottom three.

Having picked up a solitary point from successive home games

against Wolves, Stoke and Portsmouth, Laws now knows his side must

get points on their travels despite picking up just one from 15

games so far. Laws takes his side to Wigan next week and admitted:

“We’ve got to battle away and improve our away performances. There

are some disappointed players but it’s our job to pick them up and

get them ready. “We’ll keep fighting away until it’s mathematically

impossible. There is now a bit of a gap but it only takes one win

to get back in it. Nobody at this club will be disillusioned. We

will keep fighting away.” The Clarets could hardly have suffered a

worse start against a Wolves team who travelled north bemoaning

their own recent luck and knowing a loss would dump them in the

bottom three at Burnley’s expense. The home side’s solid opening

spell was undone in the 26th minute when Mears’ header back towards

goalkeeper Brian Jensen fell short, allowing Matt Jarvis to nip in,

round Jensen and dribble the ball into the empty net. Jensen may

have been feeling fortunate to still be on the pitch at that point

having raced from his goal to up-end Kevin Doyle on the right flank

in the 12th minute, for which referee Steve Bennett handed him a

yellow card. The home side came close to an equaliser in the 44th

minute when Mears knocked the ball down in the box for David

Nugent, whose shot from eight yards struck the ground and bounced

up to hit the crossbar. Any hopes the home side had of piling on

the pressure after the break were undone less than two minutes

after the restart when Adlene Guedioura’s miscued shot was

deflected past Jensen off the boot of Carlisle. Doyle almost

grabbed a third when he dribbled a shot across the face of goal

from a tight angle but otherwise the visitors were forced to sit

back and defend against a home side enthused by the introduction of

Robbie Blake. He came close in the 65th minute then Laws’ men gave

themselves a potential lifeline eight minutes later when Graham

Alexander’s ball into the Wolves box was headed home by substitute

Steven Thompson. Blake had more chances but Wolves held firm for a

result which lifts them clear of the danger zone for now but will

not convince their deadpan boss Mick McCarthy that they still have

anything other than a fight on their hands. McCarthy said: “We’re

out of the bottom three but the results today have concertina-ed it

up a bit with West Ham beaten and Wigan beaten and most important

Burnley beaten. “We’re not safe yet. It wasn’t the be-all and

end-all but it was one hell of a big result. I thought we were

comfortable in the first half and in the second half it was a bit

of an onslaught but we survived it.”