Last-gasp Buddies deny Well

The visitors were rewarded for spells of dominance by a

last-gasp goal.

Micheal Higdon took advantage of some poor defending by Lee Mair

and slotted beyond Craig Samson in the opening minute.

St Mirren pressed for an equaliser throughout the remainder of

the match and Shaun Hutchinson was dismissed in the closing


However, in the last minute of injury time, Steven Thompson

forced an excellent save from Darren Randolph before substitute

Reilly bundled the ball into the net.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall handed first-team debuts to both

Steven Hetherington and Fraser Kerr, following knocks to Chris

Humphrey and Tom Hateley in Thursday evening’s 2-0 Europa League

defeat to Levante.

The home side got off to a dream start when Higdon capitalised

on some hesitant defending by Mair before calmly slotting the ball

beyond Samson in the opening minute.

The visitors responded in a positive fashion and only a brave

block from Adam Cummins prevented Thompson profiting from Dougie

Imrie’s pin-point delivery.

Mair became the first player to receive a yellow card following

a poorly timed challenge on Jamie Murphy after nine minutes.

St Mirren continued to press for an equaliser and only an

excellent stop by Randolph prevented Paul McGowan from levelling

the scoring after a neat through ball from Graham Carey on 17


Sam Parkin headed wide of the target as St Mirren continued to

look for an equaliser.

The hosts also demonstrated their attacking threat when Henrik

Ojamaa flashed an effort just wide after 33 minutes.

Thompson passed up a good opportunity to level the game six

minutes before the break – losing his footing as he prepared to

have an effort on goal.

Motherwell responded at the other end but Higdon could only

produce a weak effort directly at Samson.

It was St Mirren who made the brighter start to the second half

and Kenny McLean tested Randolph with a low drive from the edge of

the box.

Jamie Murphy blazed an effort high over the bar on 51 minutes as

the home side looked to build on their advantage.

Randolph did well to gather Carey’s fizzing free-kick and then

was forced to tip over McGowan’s effort from the edge of the area

as the visitors continued to control proceedings.

McCall made his first change of the match on 62 minutes when

Humphrey replaced Murphy.

McLean then dragged an effort wide of the target after 68

minutes and Buddies manager Danny Lennon responded by introducing

Gary Teale in place of Imrie.

Motherwell made their second switch of the match at the same

time as Stuart Carswell came on for Nicky Law.

McGowan became the second St Mirren player to receive a booking

on 72 minutes for a late challenge on Keith Lasley and he was

followed into referee Euan Norris’ book by Carey, who was cautioned

for pulling back Humphrey.

The hosts made their final substitution of the match when Zaine

Francis-Angol was introduced in place of Ojamaa.

Higdon should have done better when released by Humphrey on 76

minutes, but blazed well wide of the target.

St Mirren continued to press for a leveller and Lennon brought

on Reilly for Parkin in an attempt to boost their attacking


Hutchinson received a yellow card for dissent with 10 minutes

remaining and Hetherington picked up a caution four minutes later

for a poor challenge on McLean.

With three minutes remaining Hutchinson was sent off for the

second time in as many matches when he lunged in on Reilly – much

to the anger of the home support.

Lennon’s side attempted to make the most of their man advantage

and Carey stung the palms of Randolph from distance.

Four minutes of injury time presented the visitors with hope of

grabbing an equaliser and after Randolph did brilliantly to deny

Thompson, Reilly fired home to deny Motherwell the chance to move

top of the league table.