Kiwomya to move for striker
The Lega Serie A have ordered Cagliari to play AC Milan at the
Stadio Olimpico in Turin, a neutral venue, due to ongoing safety
concerns over their home stadium.
Both the Lega and the local prefecture agreed sections of the
new build were unfit to host fans ahead of Milan’s visit on
Lega president Maurizio Beretta rejected a counter-offer from
Cagliari to play the game at the Stadio Nereo Rocco in Trieste, the
venue for several games last season when the islanders moved out of
their previous Stadio Sant’Elia home ahead of schedule.
A statement published on legaseriea.it read: “The Cagliari-Milan
game of the 24th week of the Serie A season, scheduled for Sunday,
February 10, 2013 at 1400 (BST), shall be played at the Stadio
Olimpico in Turin.”
Milan today acknowledged the change of venue but Cagliari are
reported to be considering an appeal.
Cagliari have struggled to host matches in their unfinished
Stadio Is Arenas this season and were forced to play Juventus at
Parma’s Stadio Ennio Tardini in December.
The Sardinian club were also ordered to play September’s home
game against Roma behind closed doors, prompting club president
Massimo Cellino to defy the edict and invite season ticket holders
to the Stadio Is Arenas regardless.
As a result, the Lega Serie A handed Roma a walkover 3-0 victory
which Cagliari failed to overturn on appeal.
There is a shortage of strikers at Meadow Lane after Lee Hughes
was allowed to leave last month and former Magpies manager Keith
Curle had been given the go-ahead to bolster his strikeforce before
he was sacked at the weekend.
Curle, dismissed on Sunday after just under a year at the helm,
last week missed out on several transfer targets, with the likes of
Jason Scotland, Chris O’Grady and Lee Barnard opting to move
And after Kiwomya’s first game in charge away at Stevenage saw
the Magpies draw a blank in a 2-0 defeat, Rodwell has told the
42-year-old former Ipswich and Arsenal striker that the money
“We’ve told Chris that there is a little bit of money there to
get a striker in on loan,” Rodwell told the Nottingham Post.
“We haven’t discussed figures or targets, but I told him that
when we asked him to take over.”