Kamara is showreel success

Stand-in skipper Joe Ledley scored twice as Celtic cruised to a

5-0 win over SPL bottom club Dundee at Celtic Park.

Ledley scored once in each half, while James Forrest and Dylan

McGeouch were also on target and Gary Hooper netted for the first

time in six matches as the hosts extended their lead at the top of

the table to 21 points.

The Dark Blues thought they had taken the lead after just five

minutes when Gary Harkins’ free-kick crept in at the near past but

an alert linesman spotted that John Baird had strayed offside.

Neil Lennon’s side soon reasserted their control and were ahead

through Ledley, who captained the team in the absence of the

injured Scott Brown.

Dundee keeper Rab Douglas could only palm an Emilio Izaguirre

cross into the path of Ledley and he slotted home from eight yards


Gary Irvine then pulled off a crucial block to deny Forrest’s

goalbound effort before Hooper came to the fore.

First he fired over following some neat link-up play with strike

partner Anthony Stokes before Douglas palmed away a stinging

effort, with a subsequent low angled drive fizzing just past the


The visitors briefly rallied, with Fraser Forster doing well to

tip a deflected Harkins shot over the bar.

The same player was then denied soon afterwards, his header

bouncing up off the turf before hitting the crossbar.

That was as good as it got for the Taysiders though as they were

reduced to 10-men early in the second half and conceded from the

penalty spot.

Matt Lockwood, only on the pitch for three minutes after coming

on as a half-time substitute, was dismissed on 48 for bringing down

Hooper right in front of goal and Forrest send Douglas the wrong

way with his spot-kick.

Stokes then scuffed an inviting shot past the post but Dylan

McGeouch killed the game off with a header into the top corner

after the impressive Stokes had clipped the ball into the box


Ledley notched up his second goal of the contest when he curled

left-footed into the top of the net after Stokes had laid the ball

off to him, with Dundee struggling to cope (73).

Celtic continued to press and Hooper ended his mini goal drought

in emphatic fashion seven minutes from time, controlling Ledley’s

ball into the box before volleying home.

Boyd, who scored 164 goals across spells with Killie and Rangers

between 2001 and 2010, re-signed before Saturday’s 1-1 draw with

Aberdeen at Rugby Park in the SPL.

“It was great to get him in and it’s great to have that type of

person back in the squad,” said Shiels. “He will be back in with us

on Monday and we will work from there. It’s self-explanatory what

he will bring to us – he is the top scorer of all time in the SPL


“There’s a hunger there and I can see that, I think he’s an

excellent professional who has served the game well and we are

excited about that.”

Kilmarnock were fortunate to claim a share of the spoils against

the Dons. Rory Fallon’s brilliant volley gave Aberdeen the lead

they deserved before Paul Heffernan got Kilmarnock back on terms

five minutes before half-time.

Aberdeen passed up a number of good chances to grab a vital

second goal and were denied a penalty with 15 minutes remaining

when Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell appeared to foul Niall McGinn

in the penalty area.

Shiels would not be drawn on the controversial decision, saying:

“I’m trying very hard to discipline myself not to speak about


“I’m not allowed to speak about referees and I’m not allowed to

speak about other teams because they’ll fall out with me.”

Aberdeen striker McGinn was baffled after receiving a yellow

card for diving in the incident.

“In my own eyes and in the eyes of a few of the Kilmarnock

players too it was a stonewall penalty – I think the referee was

the only person inside the ground that didn’t think it was a

penalty,” said McGinn.

“I was chasing the goalkeeper down and he took a bad touch, I

thought I was going to raid him then he brought me down.

“You just have to get on with things, being a professional

footballer you just have to get on with things.”

The Dons now face a crucial encounter against Ross County on

Tuesday evening and the Northern Ireland international believes

they can take confidence from their display at Rugby Park.

“We played well against Kilmarnock and we have to take that into

our game against Ross County,” he said.

“Hopefully on Tuesday we can take our chances.”

The County forward played a big part in his side’s 3-0 victory

over Motherwell at Global Energy Stadium on Saturday, with Ivan

Sproule, Richard Brittain and Iain Vigurs scoring as the Dingwall

cruised to their sixth win in their last eight fixtures.

Morrow said: “We’ve had six wins and two draws in the last eight

games, nearly a third of the season unbeaten so we’re doing


“We’ll keep trying to put the points on the board and see where

it takes us.

“We’ve got good players here and everybody is pulling in the

right direction. We work hard for each other, we’re very united in

the changing room.

“We’re just going about our business quietly. We’ve no

aspirations, this is the first season the club has been in the SPL,

so we’re doing well.”

Looking ahead to Tuesday night’s match against Aberdeen at

Pittodrie, he added: “Aberdeen is a big side, they are probably the

third biggest side in Scotland after the Old Firm.

“We’ll just try and do our best and see where it takes us.”

Morrow was particularly please with his own form as the side’s

lone marksman.

He said: “I played well but it’s a bit of a thankless task up

there on your own.

“That’s six or seven games up there on my own. I’m the only

player on the pitch that is playing against two players.

“You want to be in two places at once at times. You want to be

the one holding the ball up and also the one getting on the end of

the pass.

“You can’t do it, you can’t be in two places at once. But as

long as the team is winning and putting the points on the board I’m


“We’ve found ourselves in a great place with the run we’re on.

The target at the start of the year was survival.

“We’re happy ticking along and see where it takes us. If it’s

top six, then brilliant.”

Motherwell captain Keith Lasley admitted his side were well

below par.

He said: “It wasn’t great but credit to Ross County. The

conditions were difficult but both teams have to play on that and

Ross County played a lot better than we did.

“But the pitch is not the reason we lost the game, we just never

got going. Ross County started on the front foot and we didn’t.

“We just didn’t put anything together. We never passed the ball

well and we never got in behind them. It just wasn’t


Lasley is looking for a reaction before the match against league

leaders Celtic at Fir Park on Wednesday.

He said: “It will be a difficult game, we’ll have to see if we

can get a reaction. But there is no reason why we can’t go and win

that game.

“That’s what we have to focus on now. But we’re going to have to

be a lot better than we were yesterday if we are going to get a


The Highlanders missed out on a cup final date with St Mirren

when they lost on penalties to John McGlynn’s side at Easter Road

last month.

But some form of vengeance was gained with their 3-2 win over

the Edinburgh outfit at Tynecastle yesterday. It was only Caley

Thistle’s second win in eight games but was sufficient to move them

back up to second place in the SPL.

Now Wales international Tudur Jones believes only securing a

runners-up slot to leaders Celtic will soothe the pain of missing

out on their cup final chance.

Tudur Jones said: “It was obviously disappointing to be that

close to a semi-final. So to play Hearts so soon after, yes, it

does play a little part in your thinking.

Asked if closing out second would make up for losing that game,

he said: “I think it would. The league table is established over a

long period of time and finishing second would be huge.

“The achievement for this football club would be massive but we

are a long way off that at the minute. The first target must be to

finish in the top six. If we can achieve that then we can hopefully

kick on again.”

Gary Warren’s headed double and another close-range header from

SPL top scorer Billy McKay provided the points for Inverness after

Jason Holt and Andy Webster had twice pegged the visitors back.

For 20-year-old Holt, it was a bittersweet moment as his

stunning strike ended up counting for nothing. With Hearts now

employing a firm policy of promoting young players, however, he

admits it will be up to him to deal with the disappointment of


He said: “It is good to get a goal but the main thing was the

result but we didn’t manage to get that today, which is really


“It’s a tough time for the young lads like me to try and develop

but it is going to make us better players in time to come. We are

quite a young side but we need to learn from these situations.

“Sometimes it can be hard as we don’t have many experienced

players in the team to turn to but we do have Andy Webster and

Darren Barr, who are always helping us through the games.

“But it’s part and parcel of the game that you need to pick

yourselves up and do your own job.”

The 28-year-old Sierra Leone international came off the bench

for the final half-hour at Carrow Road on Saturday, and helped

secure what could prove a vital Premier League victory with a

powerful header to cancel out Leon Osman’s first-half opener.

Captain Grant Holt then netted a dramatic winner in


Kamara – who left his homeland aged 14 before eventually

migrating to the United States from Gambia and going on to play

football at college – had an unsuccessful trial at Stoke in

December. While Hughton was not able to watch the pacy, 6ft 2ins

forward personally, the Norwich manager saw enough to convince him

to give Kamara his opportunity in the English top flight.

“The ideal scenario means you have been able to go and see the

player, but I was not able to see him play live, although our chief

scout had,” said Hughton, who could yet make a permanent move for

Kamara at the end of the season.

“I have only seen him on DVD, but you have to trust judgements

of your scouts and the people who are giving you references.”

Hughton had initially opted for Luciano Becchio, signed from

Leeds last month, alongside Holt, but after watching the

Argentinian labour for long spells, he called on Kamara to liven up

the attack.

Norwich – without a league win since December 19 and having

scored just once in the last six outings – were at least more

creative yesterday, with Robert Snodgrass’ early angled shot

deflected over.

However, it was Everton who slowly took hold of the match.

Nikica Jelavic forced a good save from Norwich goalkeeper Mark

Bunn before Osman headed in a fine cross from left-back Leighton

Baines on 39 minutes.

The visitors, though, paid the price for not making the most of

their possession in the second half, when they failed to net

another goal which would have killed off the contest.

Everton sat deeper and were eventually broken down on 84 minutes

when Kamara crashed in a header from a corner.

Hughton’s men, though, refused to settle for what would have

been a hard-earned point as Russell Martin’s deep ball into the

Everton box was nodded down at the far post by Sebastien Bassong

and Holt arrived on queue to slam past Tim Howard, souring the

American’s 300th appearance for the Toffees.

“When you are 1-0 down against a top team, you would settle for

1-1, but the difference in this division between one point and

three points is massive,” said Hughton, whose side now hold an

eight-point cushion on the survival battle ahead of next weekend’s

trip to leaders Manchester United.

“It will give the players confidence, they are the ones who have

driven to the end to get the win.”