Jose Mourinho to leave Real Madrid
Jose Mourinho will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season after the club and the coach agreed to his departure by mutual consent, the club’s president Florentino Perez has announced.
The 50-year-old Portuguese coach has two remaining matches of a season that will end on June 1 without Madrid winning a trophy.
President Florentino Perez announced at a news conference on Monday that a mutual agreement was struck after a board meeting earlier in the day.
Mourinho is leaving having won just a single Spanish league title – sandwiched between four Barcelona successes, including one this season – and two domestic cups.
Mourinho is leaving Mardid without ”any pre-contract” for a replacement, according to Perez.
”After three years we both agreed this was the correct moment to finish,” Perez said. ”With Mourinho, we made a big leap competitively and sporting wise. Today Madrid is where it ought to be. We had not reached that level prior to his arrival, so the balance of his stay here was positive.”
The agreement indicates that the colorful and outspoken coach can return to Chelsea after a six-year absence without any compensation being paid.
Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard can’t wait for Mourinho to return.
”He galvanizes people,” Lampard told Talk Sport radio on Monday. ”His own self-confidence reflects back on his teams … what he does is he gets the best out of players and gets this togetherness that I’d never known until he came to the club and I haven’t seen it again since then.”
Popular with fans and media alike in England – in stark contrasted to his fraught relationships in Spain – Mourinho appears to have repaired his relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich to make a return to Stamford Bridge.
”He might rub people up the wrong way but, as a manager, he’s brilliant with his team. Tactically, he’s brilliant with individuals, and I think he’s brilliant with the press,” Lampard said. ”I know it creates a storm, but he does protect his players.”
Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti has been touted as the front runner and admitted on Sunday that he had met with his current club’s president Nasser Al Khelaifi and director of football Leonardo to inform them of his desire to leave the Ligue 1 champions and join Madrid.
Al Khelaifi said: "Yes, we had discussions, he asked to depart for Real Madrid. I said it is not possible because he has a contract for one year more, so that is our decision. It is his problem, it is not our problem. We have offered him another year more on his contract as well as the one he has.
"When you have a contract, everyone is normally obliged to honour that."
Ancelotti admitted his interest in the Real job at the Ligue 1 awards evening. He said: "Real is a possibility but I have a year left on my contract. It is the club who will decide.
"We have to decide together. My decision is to leave the club. It is not easy because I have had a very good relationship with everyone. It is not the time to explain the reason why I wish to leave the club, and perhaps I will never explain it."
Perez also declared that Mourinho would not receive any compensation for leaving the club, therefore forgoing the 20million-euro clause in the coach’s contract in the event he was sacked.