Jonsson nets winner for Jambos

Hearts’ off-field problems are well-documented, with owner Vladimir

Romanov voicing his desire to sell, £35million of debt and

players going unpaid for a second successive month. It may be

coincidental, but since the first delayed payment of their wages

this season, they had failed to score and collected one point from

a possible 12 – before Saturday. Rudi Skacel netted in the opening

minute of the second half, but the lead did not last long as Ross

Tokely equalised with a 58th-minute header. However, Hearts

responded and Eggert Jonsson netted a 75th-minute header to end a

four-match winless run dating back to the October 15 win at

Dunfermline. Romanov this week suggested the club was worth

£50m, but the only Hearts player to show significant value was

Marian Kello. The goalkeeper saved well from Gregory Tade and

Andrew Shinnie as Caley Thistle were unable to claim a first win in

Gorgie in four years. Inverness named an unchanged side after Greg

Tansey’s red card against Celtic was rescinded by the Scottish

Football Association on Thursday. Hearts manager Paulo Sergio

watched from the stand for the first time at Tynecastle, with the

Portuguese serving the second of a five-match touchline ban after

his dismissal in the loss to Kilmarnock earlier this month.

Blustery conditions contributed to a stop-start contest, with

Jonsson and Tokely booked early on, before the hosts had the first

opportunity. Ryan McGowan stole the ball at the byline from a

hesitant Jonny Hayes and cut it back, with David Templeton leaving

it for Ryan Stevenson, who scuffed his shot straight at Ryan Esson

in the Inverness goal. Shinnie responded with a snap-shot from 25

yards which went narrowly wide before Kello’s goal came under

further pressure when a casual Marius Zaliukas failed to control a

simple pass in defence. Hayes stole in and played Tade through

one-on-one, but the Hearts goalkeeper saved well with his feet.

Stevenson had another effort from the edge of the area before an

incident which provoked Inverness’ ire. Templeton went down under

in the box following an aerial challenge by Josh Meekings, who won

the ball fairly. From the subsequent drop ball, Stevenson played it

through for Templeton who prodded straight at Esson. Stevenson was

then confronted by captain Richie Foran and Tokely and was

withdrawn at half-time for Adrian Mrowiec. Mrowiec’s first act was

to celebrate Hearts’ first goal since mid-October. It came 25

seconds after the restart when Skacel latched onto a ball down the

right and hit an angled shot beyond Easson into the bottom corner.

It was Skacel’s fourth of the season and he was booked for

celebrating. Shinnie shot over soon after, before Tokely equalised.

Hayes’ free-kick from deep on the right evaded a static Hearts

defence and the defender headed in at the back post. Tansey blasted

over from 30 yards after winning the ball well in midfield and an

energised Inverness applied pressure on Hearts’ defence again. Tade

robbed Andy Webster, Shinnie’s effort was saved by Kello and Hayes

hit the follow up over the bar. Sutton’s shot was deflected wide

after he turned Chris Hogg and from the resulting corner the lead

was restored. A short corner was played, Templeton fired a cross

inside the six-yard box and the ball ricocheted off Jonsson’s head

and in. Sutton was replaced by Mehdi Taouil before Templeton hit a

bouncing ball narrowly wide from a throw-in towards the edge of the

box. Tokely headed another Hayes free-kick wide when he could have

done better as Inverness suffered a second straight loss.