Jones strike sees off Preston

Arjen Robben has refused to accept that Bayern Munich are on

course for the UEFA Champions League final despite their 4-0

demolition of Barcelona in the first leg at the Allianz Arena.

Robben found the net on a memorable night for the German

champions with Thomas Muller’s brace and Mario Gomez’s close-range

effort completing a staggering scoreline.

Bayern are now red-hot favourites to progress to the May

showpiece at Wembley, with a below-par Barca needing a miracle in

the semi-final second leg at Camp Nou next week.

But Robben told Sky Sports: “That is the strength of this team,

we will keep focusing, there is always the next game. Let’s stay

concentrated, not talk too much and just play our football.

“I think it is quite impressive, the way we played. We can be

very proud of tonight’s game, we deserved the win.

“We didn’t give them any opportunity to play their football. We

have a lot of quality in the team and we can also score goals.

“The key to our performance tonight was that we played as a

team, we fought for every metre and it was a great game.

“In these games you have to stand up as a player and as a team

and I was happy about tonight.

“The most important thing was that we kept the field very

compact and that’s why we didn’t give them any space to play. We

made it very difficult.”

Jones drove Crawley ahead after only six minutes with a bouncing

right-foot shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner.

Skipper Josh Simpson shot over from the edge of the area and

keeper Thorsten Stuckmann denied Paul Hayes as the hosts


Stuckmann then did superbly to tip over a goalbound header from

striker Billy Clarke after Hayes’ neat assist.

Preston’s first attempt on goal did not arrive until the 33rd

minute when captain John Welsh put a 30-yard free-kick wide.

Crawley ended the half totally on top and Clarke’s

cleverly-played free-kick was saved by Stuckmann.

Home keeper Paul Jones denied Jack King in a one-on-one

situation shortly after the break and on-loan striker Hayes was

similarly thwarted at the other end by Stuckmann.

Preston, who improved after introducing three substitutes in the

second half, came close to snatching a point 20 minutes from time

when King headed a Lee Holmes cross against the crossbar.