Jonathan Dos Santos gets warning from Mexico

Barcelona midfielder Jonathan Dos Santos was warned by a

top-ranking Mexico football official on Wednesday that his decision

to skip upcoming friendlies with the Mexico national team could

have consequences.

Dos Santos was the last player cut from the 23-man Mexico squad

for the World Cup in South Africa. Since then, he declined to play

for Mexico last month in a friendly against Spain and is skipping

Mexico’s match on Saturday against Ecuador in Guadalajara, and

another on Tuesday against Colombia in Monterrey.

The 20-year-old Dos Santos has never played an official game for

Mexico – only friendlies. He has a Spanish passport and his father

was born in Brazil, which could give him eligibility to play for a

country other than Mexico.

”His representative (agent) said he preferred to concentrate on

his play with Barcelona,” said Nestor De La Torre, the director of

national team selections for Mexico. ”Those are the facts. I said

that facts and decisions at times generate positive things and

negative things.”

His older brother, Tottenham forward Giovanni Dos Santos, played

with Mexico in the World Cup and will play in the matches against

Ecuador and Colombia.

”Jonathan is a great player with a bright future. This is

clear,” De La Torre said. ”But the national team and what it

represents has a value and merits respect.”