James Rodriguez hailed by Zinedine Zidane
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane was full of praises after the Colombian magician, James Rodriguez contributed to the team’s late dramatic comeback win vs Sporting 2-1, but will the No. 10 start on Sunday against Espanyol?
While Cristiano Ronaldo and Alvaro Morata headlined Madrid’s win against Sporting Lisbon for their goals, it was James Rodriguez’s late cameo that made all the differences. But despite a good outing, James may still leave the Spanish Capital.
James, who has vowed to see out his career with the Spanish giants, future remains in doubt with reports circulating that he was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu. The play-maker expressed his desire to join Manchester United earlier this week, according to Spanish newspaper Diario Gol.
Zidane summed up the Colombian’s contribution to his team Wednesday evening: James has not been starting games, but he can,” said Zidane of the Colombian midfielder, per ESPN FC. “Not just for the 15 minutes he played today. What I value is the day-to-day work, and James is doing that well. He will get his chances, today he came on and made the difference. I am happy with his performance.”
Before James was introduced in the 77th minute, Sporting defense had Los Blancos fearsome attack at bay. It was the Colombian magisterial performance that powered Real past the Portuguese side.
James Rodriguez came on in the 77th minute. He created 3 chances and provided the assist for the 94th minute winner. pic.twitter.com/OfbPUMiesF
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) September 14, 2016
But will Madrid No. 10 get the starting berth on Sunday vs Espanyol after his display against Sporting Lisbon?
- 9/16 – James Rodriguez hailed by Zinedine Zidane
- 9/16 – Liverpool: Roberto Firmino wants Jurgen Klopp to be a wizard
- 9/16 – Probable Chelsea and Liverpool first teams ahead of Stamford Bridge showdown
- 9/16 – Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino must save Harry Kane from himself
- 9/16 – Mourinho is worried Europa League loss will cost Manchester United at Watford
James Rodriguez deserves to be in the starting Xl on Sunday, although It’s uncertain who the French manager will drop for the 25-year-old. One would think Zidane will give James the nod after his impressive display to build his confidence going forward.
Zidane may have a stellar attack that’s already established, (BBC) but if he can get James playing to his full potential, Madrid will be the first team to defend their European crown.
More from Playing for 90
- Liverpool: Roberto Firmino wants Jurgen Klopp to be a wizard1 h ago
- Probable Chelsea and Liverpool first teams ahead of Stamford Bridge showdown1 h ago
- Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino must save Harry Kane from himself2h ago
- Mourinho is worried Europa League loss will cost Manchester United at Watford3h ago
- Chelsea vs Liverpool latest pre-match injury news3h ago