Jack: We’ll get decision back

The World Cup final referee awarded the visitors a 51st-minute

penalty after Leon Osman went down in the box, only for television

replays to confirm he had kicked the ground and tripped himself.

Leighton Baines made the most of the visitors’ stroke of luck to

snatch a point with a 1-1 draw by cancelling out Colback’s

first-half strike, but the 22-year-old Sunderland player was taking

a measured approach despite his disappointment. Colback said: “It’s

clearly not a penalty, but football, especially in the Premier

League, is such a fast pace and the ref has only got that

split-second. “He decided to give it and I am sure in other games,

we will get decisions we maybe shouldn’t. “Obviously, we are

disappointed in the way we conceded that goal in the fact that it

wasn’t a penalty, but we have just got to forget about that now and

move on.” Webb, of course, was the referee who at the Stadium of

Light in August missed Sebastian Larsson handling then Newcastle

midfielder Joey Barton’s header on the line, although the Magpies

went on to win the game 1-0. His error on Boxing Day proved hugely

costly to the Black Cats, who recovered from a distinctly ordinary

start to the game to dominate much of what followed. Everton, who

have not lost on Wearside for a decade and are now unbeaten in 15

meetings with Sunderland, might have had the points wrapped up

inside the opening 16 minutes after they created, but squandered, a

series of glorious opportunities. The first two of them fell to

recalled midfielder Tim Cahill, a scourge for the Black Cats over

the years who has gone more than a year without a goal for his

club. His seventh-minute shot from a tight angle was well saved by

Keiren Westwood. Then, having been presented with the kind of

header which has been meat and drink to him over the years seven

minutes later, he sent his effort well wide of the target. Louis

Saha was just as wasteful and similarly unmarked when he headed

horribly wide with the Sunderland defence in tatters. The home side

were forced to make an early change when central defender Titus

Bramble limped off with an Achilles problem after just 21 minutes,

and it was his replacement, Colback, who broke the deadlock with

his first senior goal for the club. Stephane Sessegnon cut through

the Toffees rearguard to set up the substitute, and his shot took a

deflection off Sylvain Distin and flew past goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Asked later if the ball had been going in anyway, Colback replied:

“I think so. It doesn’t matter how they go in, does it? A goal is a

goal. “I can’t really remember it too well, to be honest. It was a

bit of a sharp one. “But I would be pretty disappointed if it was

taken away from me.” The goal put Sunderland in the ascendancy and

they looked the more likely to score again in the run-up to

half-time. However, the visitors were back on level terms within

six minutes of the restart, although in highly controversial

circumstances with neither Wes Bramble nor Lee Cattermole, the two

men closest to Osman, connecting with him as he hit the deck.

Baines did not bat an eyelid as he lashed the penalty past Westwood

to extend his side’s unbeaten run to three games. Everton manager

David Moyes said: “We know what we have got and it’s clear for

everybody to see. “If we had taken our chances in the first half,

we could have been out of sight in the first 20, 30 minutes. “But

we didn’t and because of that, it’s making all our games…we could

quite easily win, draw or it could be very tight. That’s the way

it’s been.” Everton return to action on New Year’s Day with a trip

to West Brom, while Sunderland face the daunting prospect of trying

to deny Premier League leaders Manchester City victory on Wearside.

Colback said: “They have been doing very well so far this season

and they have got a lot of top-class players. “But they didn’t

manage to win yesterday and we will go in with a lot of confidence

that we can cause them problems and just concentrate on our own