Indians, police clash at Rio Indian museum

Brazilian police on Friday surrounded an old Indian museum

complex next to Rio de Janeiro’s legendary Maracana football

stadium in a bid to expel a group of indigenous people and their

supporters to make way for works related to the World Cup.

Several Indians armed with bows and arrows were posted on the

roof of the large stone structure. Riot police clashed with

supporters of several dozen Indians from throughout Brazil, some of

whom have been squatting in the crumbling complex for years.

The museum has been at the center of a drawn-out legal battle

the squatters and state and local authorities, who want to raze the

complex as part of renovations ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

The indigenous group includes men and women of about 10

ethnicities – mostly Guarani, Pataxo, Kaingangue and Guajajara –

who have been living for years in 10 homes they built on the site

of an old Indian museum abandoned since 1977.

Gabriel Guajaja, a 23-year-old law student wearing an Anonymous

mask and brandishing a Brazilian flag, said he turned out to

support the Indians holed up in the museum.

”It’s been 500 years that white men have been exploiting the

indigenous people of this continent,” said Guajaja. ”The local

government wants to destroy even this little bit of Indian culture

we have here in the city. It’s disgraceful.”

Police used tear gas and some came to blows with the Indians’

supporters in an early-morning street scuffle. Two helicopters

hovered overhead.

By midmorning, dozens of Indians and their supporters were still

holed up in the complex, chanting and brandishing homemade signs,

one of which read ”Maracana Village resists.”

Inside the complex, Indians in face paint and feather

headdresses negotiated with police and local government officials

as others beat out a rhythm on pans.

At one point, the Indians held an infant above the wall of the

complex to show negotiators the baby was holed up there. A woman

held a homemade sign reading ”they won’t pass.”

A few hours after police arrived, about 10 people left the

museum complex, climbing down the exterior wall over a ladder.

Carrying bags of belongings, they said they were going to live

in a shelter and that they would inspect alternative lodgings

proposed by City Hall.

Meanwhile, the ranks of protesters gathered along with the news

media in a median strip in front of the complex continued to swell.

The protesters chanted ”fascists” and anti-police jingles.