Hull climb with win at Burnley

Hull climbed to second in the Championship table after Stephen

Quinn’s second-half strike secured a 1-0 win over Burnley at Turf


One-time runaway leaders Cardiff have two games in hand and can

double their advantage with victory over Leicester on Tuesday

night, but Hull are now their closest rivals for the title after

capitalising on Watford and Crystal Palace’s weekend woes to go


Following a listless first-half largely devoid of goalmouth

action, Quinn found space on the edge of penalty area and a calm

finish in the 66th minute.

It was enough for City to end a run of seven consecutive defeats

against Burnley, who came closest through substitute Sam Vokes when

the game was goalless.

Quinn flashed a header wide for the visitors with 33 seconds

played, while Burnley enjoyed encouragement of their own from Ross

Wallace’s eighth-minute corner – David Edgar’s hooked shot blocked

before Alex Kacaniklic smashed the loose ball narrowly past the

angle of post and bar from 18 yards.

Snow was falling by the time Wallace, another Clarets player

restored after an injury absence, let fly with a long-range effort

that Hull goalkeeper David Stockdale did well to push out of the

top corner.

City started to settle into a rhythm shortly after the half-hour

and James Chester cut out an ambitious Keith Treacy pass to play in

George Boyd, whose goalbound shot forced a last-ditch block from


Burnley were looking like a team in need of half-time, but when

Alex Bruce shanked a volley off-target to conclude a sustained

spell of pressure in the 44th minute it summed up Hull’s efforts to


Gedo tested Lee Grant in the 53rd minute, drawing a sharp

near-post stop after Boyd rode a couple of challenges in midfield

to play him through.

In response Dyche sent on Vokes in place of Treacy and the Wales

international striker almost made an immediate impact when he

looped a glancing header from Charlie Austin’s right-wing cross

past the far post.

Steve Bruce went one better in the 64th minute with a double

change, Robert Koren and Jay Simpson replacing Bruce Jnr and Gedo,

that paid instant dividends.

Koren drifted into space on the right and his cross found

Simpson, whose calmly rolled pass teed-up Quinn to finish


Burnley failed to mount a sustained response, though 26-goal

striker Austin might have levelled late on had he not misjudged a

header from Vokes’ centre.