Gulls edge relegation battle

Brian McDermott urged Leeds to end a disappointing season on a

high after the 1-0 win over Burnley.

McDermott replaced Neil Warnock as manager last Friday and

steered his new club to a second Championship win in the space of

four days after Rudy Austin supplied the only goal at Elland


Leeds climbed to within six points of the play-offs, seven above

the bottom three, and McDermott is demanding more of the same from

his revitalised side.

“We controlled possession really. We needed to get a goal in the

first half, but we didn’t,” said McDermott.

“We had a few opportunities and once we got the goal – the goal

I thought was excellent, a really good bit of skill by Dioufy and

that was a really good finish.

“I’ve come here to enjoy myself, the staff want to enjoy

themselves and I want the players and the fans to enjoy themselves,

that’s what life’s about.

“I think there’s something tangible left this season. Every game

there’s something tangible.

“When you’re stood on that line and it’s 1-0, it’s definitely

tangible in my heart, so every game there’s something to play for

because you’re playing for your supporters.

“You want to finish the season strongly. You want to do as well

as you possibly can.

“I’m just a bit upset there’s only three games left, it’s a

shame there’s not six.”

Elliot Benyon put the home side in front after 25 minutes,

powering home a close-range header after a free-kick from Kevin


Fit-again keeper Michael Poke kept Torquay in the game with a

terrific double save to deny first Andy Yiadom and then Harry


Top scorer Jake Hyde came on for Barnet after 58 minutes and

marked his arrival by equalising with his first touch, heading in

unmarked at the far post after a free kick as the Torquay defence

rushed out for offside.

But Torquay were in front again two minutes later when Billy

Bodin drove a low left-foot shot past Barnet keeper Graham Stack

from the edge of the box.

Defender Brian Saah made it 3-1 with 20 minutes to go with a

looping header from a corner, but Hyde kept the pressure on Torquay

with a volleyed goal after 77 minutes.