Grant: No contact with Di Canio

Grant feels his team could learn a thing or two from the Italian –

but maintained there had been no formal contact regarding the

possibility of bringing the striker on board. Di Canio, who played

for the Hammers between 1999 and 2003, was back at Upton Park for

Saturday afternoon’s 3-1 Premier League win over Wigan to visit the

hospitality suite named in his honour. The Italian, 42, has been

touted as a possible strikers’ coach for the club, who this week

appointed former Brentford boss Wally Downes to work with the

defence. Grant is looking to reshape his backroom staff following

the departure of assistant manager Zeljko Petrovic, but insisted Di

Canio had not been approached. “There have been a few names, but I

did not speak with him,” Grant said. “We want to build West Ham

step by step and are looking for more specific coaches which will

do specific jobs.” Grant added: “For me, Di Canio is always welcome

at this club. “He is very respected and I had the honour to see him

playing a few times, he was a great player. “If he can teach our

players how to play like him, I will take him!” Grant is happy with

Downes’ contribution so far. “We wanted to do something about the

coaching staff, which I spoke about with the board when I came

here,” he said. “We had a chance to bring a defensive coach in

after Petrovic asked to leave. “I interviewed a few people and am

very happy Wally came. He is a good guy with a lot of knowledge

about the game.” Grant, though, dismissed speculation over his own

position. “I never think about myself, I am in a job where there

are always rumours,” said the former Chelsea and Portsmouth boss.

“I just need to concentrate on my job, that is what I have done all

my life and will do in the future.”