German court sentences Croat in match-fixing case

A Croat and two co-defendants have been convicted of fraud by a

German court for their part in what has been described as Europe’s

biggest match-fixing scandal.

Ante Sapina, who has a previous conviction for match-fixing, was

sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison on Thursday. He confessed to

fixing more than 20 matches, including a World Cup qualifying game

and several matches in the top European club competitions.

His co-defendant Marijo Cvrtak was also convicted and sentenced

to 5 1/2 years in jail. A third man, Dragan Mihelic from Slovenia,

was given a suspended sentence of 18 months.

According to normal German judicial practice, none of the men

have been officially identified, but their names have been

published in the media.

Sapina and Cvrtak manipulated more than 20 games, including the

2010 World Cup qualifier between Liechtenstein and Finland in

September 2009, when the referee was bribed.

Sapina testified that he traveled to Sarajevo to meet with a

Bosnian referee and arrange for the otherwise meaningless World Cup

qualifying match to be fixed.

In exchange for ?40,000 ($52,000), referee Novo Panic agreed to

make sure two goals would be scored in the second half. The match

ended in a 1-1 draw with both goals coming in the second half.

According to Sapina, one of the goals was the result of a clearly

incorrect penalty decision.

Panic and another referee contacted by Sapina have been

suspended for life by UEFA, the governing body of European


Other manipulated games include a Champions League qualifier

between Debrecen of Hungary and Fiorentina of Italy and several

Europa League matches, as well as games in domestic leagues in

Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Turkey, Hungary, Slovenia,

Croatia and Canada.

Sapina was convicted on 22 counts of fraud and attempted fraud,

while Cvrtak was found guilty on 26 counts of fraud and attempted


Sapina was found guilty of fraud in a similar match-fixing case

involving German referee Robert Hoyzer in 2009 and sentenced to 35

months in prison.

Three other man also have been convicted by the Bochum court and

were sentenced in April to prison terms ranging between three years

and 11 months and three years.