Gallas: Move not an easy decision

William Gallas has admitted his defection to Tottenham from Arsenal was not an easy decision but vowed to give everything for his new club.

Gallas became the most high-profile player to cross the north London divide since Sol Campbell yesterday when he signed a one-year contract at Spurs.

The controversial move is bound to go down badly with a number of Arsenal supporters – and perhaps even some fans of the team he has joined.

"It was not an easy decision but I am here now and I will give my best," France defender Gallas told his new club’s official website.

"What is most important to me is to play games and to give everything."

The 33-year-old immediately attempted to win the doubters over by claiming he believes he has joined a club capable of winning the Barclays Premier League this season.

"Finishing fourth last season shows Spurs have improved a lot and I hope this season we are going to finish even higher, maybe even win the Premier League," he added.

"We just have to believe in ourselves. We have got young players with great quality.

"They just have to believe in their capacity to do something and I hope we can achieve this."

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp revealed on Friday he had been in talks with Gallas for some weeks, and it appears the versatile defender did need to be convinced to move directly from Spurs’ arch-rivals after becoming a free agent this summer.

He refused to accept a pay cut with the Gunners and arrives with plenty more baggage from his time at the Emirates and Chelsea beforehand.

But any fears Gallas may have had over what is another controversial career move were not enough to prevent the two-time Premier League winner signing on.

Speaking after training with his new team-mates, he said: "The atmosphere is great here.

"I like that and I’m just looking forward to playing as soon as possible and winning some games."

Gallas, who is at least two weeks away from being match ready, added: "I just want to be fit as soon as possible, train with my team-mates and play matches. I want to show everybody I am still here."

Gallas will miss Wednesday night’s must-win Champions League clash with Young Boys but will feature if Tottenham overturn a 3-2 play-off round deficit and progress to the group stage.

"Spurs are ready for the Champions League, even though they lost the first game," said Gallas, who has played in Europe’s premier club competition for the past seven seasons.

"I have seen the game and the team showed character to come back (from 3-0 down).

"I am confident we will win that game on Wednesday because all the players know it is very important to play in the Champions League.

"I have played many games in the Champions League. It is the best level to play at as you are up against the biggest teams and you can show how good you are.

"The atmosphere is so great. When you hear the music, you just want to get on the pitch and battle for 90 minutes, and it would be good for Spurs."

The Frenchman’s new team-mate Gareth Bale insists Tottenham are not feeling any pressure ahead of Wednesday night’s second leg, because they know they are good enough to progress.

With a minimum £10million at stake, the game at White Hart Lane is arguably one of the most important in the club’s recent history.

But Bale said: "I don’t think we feel pressure.

"We know we’re good enough and, if we play to the capability we know we can play, we can beat most teams."

Spurs are still sweating over the fitness of a number of key players.

Jermain Defoe (groin) looks set to return but Luka Modric (groin), Roman Pavyluchenko (ankle), Giovani dos Santos (hamstring) and Robbie Keane (knee) all remain doubtful.

Indeed, Keane may have played his last game for the club following fresh reports Aston Villa and West Ham are preparing bids for the Republic of Ireland striker.

Press Association Sport understands Spurs could be tempted by an offer in the region of £10million for the 30-year-old, who they are prepared to sacrifice in order to bring a new forward to White Hart Lane.

Redknapp has already ruled out selling Peter Crouch, who was most recently linked with Stoke.

Potters boss Tony Pulis today confirmed he would not be able to afford the England striker anyway.

Meanwhile, Spurs tonight confirmed midfielder Jamie O’Hara will undergo back surgery on Thursday.

The 23-year-old has been under the care of a specialist this summer after suffering a stress fracture last season.