FIFA anti-racism chief says victims not supported

FIFA’s new anti-racism chief plans to talk with high-profile

offenders on the pitch as he sets about formulating tougher

sanctions after claiming the victims have been let down by football

authorities.

A spate of racial abuse cases among players and fans in recent

years has led to FIFA President Sepp Blatter this week appointing

Vice President Jeffrey Webb to head a task force to tackle the

problem.

”We’ve been talking for a long time in football (about racism)

and I don’t really think that we’ve supported the players,” Webb

said on Saturday. ”I don’t think we’ve necessarily put the right

sanctions in place to support them. It’s a travesty that it comes

to that.”

Some fines imposed by FIFA have been seen as too lenient. FIFA

fined Bulgaria and Hungary in January around $40,000 each for

racist and anti-Semitic abuse by their fans.

”I really don’t think that financial instruments in today’s

world are enough to deal with it,” Webb, who heads CONCACAF, said

on the sidelines of a meeting of football’s rule-makers in

Edinburgh. ”With the money that’s involved in football today, the

fines that are being established, I don’t think they’re working,

obviously.”

Blatter has previously said point deductions and relegation

punishments are needed as disciplinary options to help deal with

discrimination at matches.

The heaviest bans for racist abuse by players have come in

England. Liverpool striker Luis Suarez served an eight-match ban

for racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra during a

match and Chelsea captain John Terry was suspended for four games

for hurling insults at Anton Ferdinand at Queens Park Rangers.

Webb plans to make a fact-finding trip to England where he hopes

to speak to players, including Suarez, Terry, Evra and

Ferdinand.

”I will be meeting with the FA chairman David Bernstein and

visiting the FA,” Webb said. ”At that time I would also like to

meet with some of the players, perhaps have a round-table

discussion to talk to the players and get their input, get some

suggestions from them and learn from what their experiences are.

There’s a number of players who have been victimized, targeted.

Plus we would like to hear both sides really.”

Bernstein is pleased that FIFA is recognizing the need to tackle

discrimination in football.

”It is vitally important football’s governing bodies share

experiences and knowledge if we are to properly tackle this

issue,” said Bernstein, who was at Saturday’s International

Football Association Board meeting with Webb.

The anti-racism task force was established by Blatter after AC

Milan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng led his teammates off the

pitch when he was racially abused during a friendly against Italian

fourth-tier side Pro Patria in January.

Webb’s panel will have at least six members and he will present

his initial findings to the FIFA Congress in May.

Webb, who is from the Cayman Islands, has concerns about the

lack of opportunities for black players in higher levels of

football.

”I played football and I wanted to go into administration,” he

said. ”Some players … might want to go into management. Sol

Campbell might want to be the next coach for Arsenal. Do they

really have that opportunity?”

”We as a football family, overall, have to sit down and take a

look in the mirror,” Webb added. ”What happens to the players

after they finish playing? Do they really have a chance at being a

professional manager? Do people of color really have a chance to

become executive directors of various clubs and boards?”

Rob Harris can be reached at http://twitter.com/RobHarris