Egypt’s football cup competition canceled

Egypt’s interim government has canceled the national cup

competition, ending all football in the country this season.

The Egyptian Football Association says that the Ministry of

Interior won’t allow Egyptian Cup games, scheduled from April 30 to

May 30, to go ahead because of security concerns.

The EFA says the ministry also wants court proceedings in

connection with the deadly Port Said stadium riot to be completed

before football resumes.

League games were called off last month after 74 people were

killed in fan clashes at a game in the Mediterranean city on Feb.

1.

Around 75 suspects are on trial over the violence. The case was

postponed until next month after disturbances in court last

week.