Dons aiming for top-six finish

Burnley boss Sean Dyche criticised referee Nigel Miller after

Nottingham Forest scored a penalty seven minutes into stoppage time

to salvage a 1-1 draw.

Lewis McGugan slotted home the spot-kick after Kevin Long

collided with Henri Lansbury at the end of the game at Turf Moor,

but Dyche felt the full-time whistle should already have blown.

“I feel sorry for our fans, because yet again they’ve witnessed

an incredible situation where we can’t just win against an

opposition, we’ve got to beat everything else,” said Dyche, whose

side had taken the lead through Junior Stanislas’ second-half


“I’m disappointed in the whole referee’s performance today and

I’m sick of talking about it because I shouldn’t have to.

“But it’s not the first time as we know; it’s been a constant

issue since I’ve been at this football club. I don’t know what it

is, but that isn’t good enough today.

“I had a word with him [Miller] and he said he was more

interested in the fact we were late for kick-off. I was really

amazed he when he told me that.

“The timing issue at the end inevitably affects the game. It

probably is a penalty but that’s not the point. The game’s dead,

it’s over, we’ve won.

“The lads have given everything and like I say it’s very

difficult when you’ve got to beat more than just the


Dyche believes that the Premier League should help to improve

the standard of refereeing in the lower leagues.

“I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again; there needs to

be more support for these referees, the only people who can do it

are the Premier League because they’re so wealthy,” added Dyche.

“The Premier League must start funding the development of


Brentford dominated large parts of the game but strikes from

Bowditch and Gleeson either side of the interval secured a second

successive win for the Dons, ending the Bees’ three-match winning


Bowditch put the Dons ahead against the run of play in the 14th

minute when his speculative 25-yard shot squirmed underneath

goalkeeper Simon Moore and into the corner of the net.

Forward Harry Forrester had two fierce strikes saved by Dons

keeper Ian McLoughlin, who also beat out a close-range header from

skipper Jonathan Douglas.

Marcello Trotta then missed a golden opportunity to equalise

when he fired wide one-on-one with McLoughlin before Patrick

Bamford drilled a low shot against the post for the Dons on the

stroke of half-time.

The Bees bossed the second half and substitute Bradley

Wright-Phillips flashed a header just over the crossbar, while

Toumani Diagouraga and Harlee Dean were both narrowly


But Gleeson sealed a smash-and-grab win for the Dons five

minutes from the end when he lashed in Darren Potter’s cutback.