Commons saves Celtic, Well win

There were four minutes gone in the second half when Hoops

defender Mikael Lustig fouled Mark Corcoran 20 yards from goal and

Parkhead goalkeeper Fraser Forster had no chance when Staggies

skipper Richard Brittain fired the free-kick high past him and into

the net at Victoria Park.

It looked like the Highland side would hold on for their first

league win over the Glasgow giants but, in the third minute of

added time, Commons pounced to tap the ball into the net from close

range after County keeper Michael Fraser had spilled a shot from

Hoops substitute Tony Watt, who had replaced Lustig.

The home side, who extended their unbeaten run to 37 games,

might feel harshly done by and Celtic manager Neil Lennon

celebrated the leveller with some gusto, as he now turns his

attention to the first leg of their Champions League play-off

against Helsingborg in Sweden on Tuesday night.

Elsewhere, Jamie Murphy struck twice as Motherwell claimed their

first three points of the season with a 2-1 victory over Kilmarnock

at Rugby Park.

Murphy opened the scoring after 11 minutes when he drove at the

home defence and slotted the ball beyond Cammy Bell.

Gary Harkins levelled on the half-hour, but within five minutes

Murphy was racing on to Higdon’s excellent through-ball before

rounding Bell and rolling the ball into the net.

Pat Fenlon’s new-look Hibernian also claimed their first win of

the SPL season at St Mirren.

A goal in either half from Leigh Griffiths gave them a two-goal

lead, but the Edinburgh side had to withstand a fightback from

Saints, who couldn’t add to Steven Thompson’s goal.

However, the hosts were perhaps made to rue their penalty miss,

with Paul McGowan’s first-half spot-kick saved by Hibernian keeper

Ben Williams.

Aberdeen completed a trio getting their first win of the new

season after dominating St Johnstone in a 2-1 victory.

Issac Osbourne and Jonny Hayes provided the goals but the score

does not come close to describing the visitors’ superiority,

particularly in a second half where Aberdeen controlled the play

and created numerous chances.

Nigel Hasselbaink added a late consolation for the hosts, but

the defeat from the season home opener leaves St Johnstone with

only a point from their first three SPL games.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle struck with the last kick of the

game as the Highlanders claimed a dramatic 2-2 draw in a

controversial encounter against Hearts.

Teenager Conor Pepper rescued a draw after Terry Butcher’s men

appeared dead and buried at the break – two goals down and a man

down following a tempestuous first period.

Arvydas Novikovas had given the hosts the lead on 15 minutes,

curling past Ryan Esson, before John Sutton doubled Hearts’ lead

after a debatable penalty award.

Richie Foran was shown a red card on the stroke of half-time,

prompting the fury of Butcher, but Caley were handed a lifeline

with a penalty of their own, Andrew Shinnie netting. Pepper then

sparked wild celebrations among the visitors deep into injury