Clarets and Potters share the spoils

It means that while Brian Laws’ side move above Hull they remain in

the relegation zone. Tuncay opened the scoring for Stoke in the

23rd minute but Burnley rallied in the second half. Laws, though,

is finding it hard to make an impact since replacing Owen Coyle as

manager in January. This was his ninth league match in charge and

they have won only won game. Next up are fellow strugglers Wolves

on Saturday – another massive clash. Stoke almost made the

breakthrough as early as the third minute when Abdoulaye Faye

clipped a shot wide of the post following a corner from Liam

Lawrence. There followed a decent spell of pressure by Burnley but

they could not take take advantage. Danny Fox whipped in a

free-kick that was diverted to safety by Danny Collins. Then Chris

Eagles was set up by Martin Paterson in the 14th minute following a

short spell of pressure by the home side. However the former

Manchester United midfielder sent his effort nearer the corner flag

than the goal, much to his frustration. Stoke again found

themselves on the back foot when Jack Cork found space in the area

but like Eagles failed to test Thomas Sorensen. The visiting

goalkeeper, however, then turned away a low drive from Fox in the

17th minute as Burnley stepped up the pace. Stoke took the lead six

minutes later following a long throw from Rory Delap. It was

flicked on by Mamady Sidibe to Tuncay, who headed home. Burnley

came under pressure in the 31st minute when Matthew Etherington

released Delap, only for Graham Alexander to show good positioning

to block his shot. Etherington then set up Tuncay in the area but

his first touch was poor and Leon Cort was able to get the ball

away. Burnley hit back and Eagles delivered a cross to Paterson at

the back post in the 39th minute. However he showed a lack of

confidence and sent his effort weakly into the side-netting. Stoke

responded and Etherington latched on to a good ball from Andy

Wilkinson and delivered it into the area – but Cort was able to

clear. Burnley, however, made a bright start to the second period

and Eagles latched on to a pass from Nugent. He skipped forward to

the edge of the area only to go to ground following a challenge

from Delap. Eagles appealed for a free-kick but referee Howard Webb

would have none of it and allowed play to continue. Burnley stunned

Stoke by drawing level in the 52nd minute with a goal out of

nothing. Paterson turned Collins inside out before delivering a

superb cross deep into the area. Nugent was the first to react and

left Sorensen stranded with a powerful header – his sixth goal for

the club. It was an open game now with both sides going for the

win, rather than settling for a point. Etherington tried to release

Wilkinson in the 82nd minute but goalkeeper Brian Jensen

anticipated, then a minute later substitute Dave Kitson made space

for himself before rattling in a shot which tested Jensen. Burnley

came close to getting the winner in the closing moments of the game

with Eagles sending a shot over the bar and substitute McDonald

finding the wrong side of the post with his effort.