Cesar set for Napoli move

David Moyes says he has money to spend this summer, with

Manchester United looking to land ‘the best players’ around.

Having succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, Moyes has

been released from the transfer shackles which occasionally left

him frustrated at Everton.

There is no bottomless pit of cash at United, but the Scot

claims to have been informed that there are no budget

constraints.

That has given him the freedom to chase any target he likes,

with United reported to still be mulling over approaches for

Tottenham Hotspur forward Gareth Bale and former fans’ favourite

Cristiano Ronaldo – who remains on the books at Real Madrid.

Moyes is reluctant to divulge the identity of those on his

summer shopping list, but expects to be backed by his board in any

decisions he takes.

After seeing his first game at the United helm end in a 1-0

defeat to the Singha All Star XI on Saturday, Moyes said: “Isn’t it

great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who

you want to get, just go and do it’.

“We are looking at the best players. I do think it’s important

that we show people we are carrying on the traditions and trying to

take the club forward.

“I will not name anybody, but certainly we are always looking at

the best players. I think we are trying to strengthen in a couple

of areas. We are short in midfield.

“We are also a club which tends to invest in the youth side, so

you can expect us to go for players in that age group.

“We are working hard to make sure the first signing is the right

one. I have been left a really good team and I want to add to it

sensibly.”

The Uruguay international has expressed a desire to leave

Anfield after becoming disillusioned with life in England.

He has been linked with Arsenal and Chelsea, but Spanish giants

Real Madrid are considered to the frontrunners in the race for his

signature.

Liverpool are reluctant to let the unsettled striker leave, with

boss Brendan Rodgers in ‘constant communication’ with the South

American, but Suarez has reiterated that he will push for a move if

he can further his career elsewhere.

He said: “If I receive an important offer to progress my career,

I will study it. Some clubs have asked about me but I hand

questions over to my agent. I am no stranger to rumours.

“I always want to improve. That’s why I left Ajax for

Liverpool.

“But this club needs to fight to enter the Champions League and,

when it doesn’t happen, it damages the morale of any player. So

I’ve suffered.

“It is hard to view the Premier League every week with never a

chance of winning it.

“On top of that, the English media do not understand me. The

controversies with (Patrice) Evra and (Branislav) Ivanovic were

decisive. There are always extra questions when people analyse

me.

“After the Evra incident, it was very difficult to convince

people about the ‘real’ Luis Suarez. Things had improved but then

the incident involving Ivanovic was another blow.

“Had that not happened, perhaps I would have been regarded as

the best Premier League player last season.”

Giggs, about to start his 23rd season as a United player, is the

proud owner of a record 13 Premier League titles.

The fact he can still turn in the type of top-class performances

that persuaded Sir Alex Ferguson to hand him another contract is

testament to the 39-year-old’s phenomenal mental strength.

Giggs admits he cannot really explain it himself.

However, speaking on his arrival in Sydney for the second leg of

United’s pre-season tour, it is clear he loves the game as much as

he ever did.

“Crazy, aren’t I?” he said.

“I’m enjoying it just as much as I did 20 years ago. It’s as

simple as that.

“Every year is a bonus to me. Take last year: winning the

league, that feeling you have after the hard work you put in.

Winning that trophy makes it all worthwhile.

“The thing about Manchester United is you have to do it all over

again.”

And that philosophy will remain the same even though there is

now a new man at the helm.

“This is the start of the journey this season and I hope to be

lifting a trophy again at the end of it,” he said.

“We have to put the hard work in now in order to achieve

that.”

It is United’s first visit to Australia since 1999 and this time

round Giggs will have the chance to see one of sport’s fiercest

rivalries.

Cardiff-born Giggs only ended up in Manchester in the first

place because his dad moved north to play professional rugby league

for Swinton.

Giggs played the sport as a youngster and has retained a healthy

interest even though he has gone on to achieve so much success in a

different footballing sphere.

So Wednesday’s State of Origin decider between Queensland and

New South Wales – in the same ANZ Stadium United’s sell-out tour

match against the A-League All Stars will take place on Saturday

evening – is going to be an occasion for Giggs to relish.

“I’m a big rugby league fan,” he said.

“I had the great pleasure of spending some time with Melbourne

Storm when they were playing in Leeds in the World Cup

Challenge.

“I spent some time with Billy Slater and Cameron Smith, who are

Queenslanders. I’ve also had a text off Andrew Johns telling me in

no uncertain terms who I need to support on Wednesday.

“I’m in Sydney so I’ll be supporting New South Wales.”

The 33-year-old Cesar joined QPR last summer and produced some

impressive displays, although he was unable to save them from

relegation to the Championship.

And he now looks set for a return to Italy, having made over 200

appearances for Inter during a very successful seven-year stint

between 2005-12.

Cesar was recalled to the Brazil team last season and was

between the sticks for their recent Confederations Cup triumph.

The Brazilians will host the World Cup next summer and Cesar is

believed to be keen to remain in a high profile league, in order to

boost his chances of remaining his country’s number one.

QPR are thought to be open to his departure due to his high wage

bill and he has been strongly linked with a move across the capital

to Arsenal.

However, a loan move now looks on the cards to Napoli, who

enjoyed a superb 2012/13 season, finishing second in Serie A, and

who will be coached by Rafael Benitez this season.