Cardiff upset by Peterborough

Table-topping Cardiff had their perfect home Championship record

ruined on Saturday as struggling Peterborough won 2-1.

The Bluebirds had won all 10 league matches at the Cardiff City

Stadium this season but were stunned by a Posh side who had failed

to win in eight.

Michael Bostwick put the struggling visitors ahead after 22

minutes with a superb long-range effort and on-loan Dagenham

striker Dwight Gayle netted the second two minutes after the


Rudy Gestede’s late goal ensured a nervy finish for Darren

Ferguson’s team, but they held on for three crucial points.

The result saw Cardiff’s lead at the summit reduced to two

points, while Peterborough climbed off the bottom ahead of

Sheffield Wednesday’s visit to Barnsley.

The hosts thought they had taken the lead after just four

minutes when Heidar Helguson headed home from Craig Bellamy’s

free-kick, but it was ruled out for offside.

Peterborough twice went close through George Boyd and Cardiff

failed to heed the warnings, falling behind midway through the

half. Posh capitalised on the dubious award of a free-kick, Boyd

rolling it to Bostwick, who rifled in from 20 yards.

Bellamy attempted to muster an immediate response but after

expertly controlling a loose ball on the edge of the box, he pulled

his effort just wide.

The Welshman threatened again soon after, latching onto Craig

Conway’s superb pass before cutting the ball back for Craig Noone,

who could only find the gloves of Robert Olejnik with his shot.

But having failed to make the most of their dominance in the

latter stages of the first half, the hosts fell behind early in the

second. Lee Tomlin fed Gayle and he raced through, slotting coolly

past Marshall to make it four goals in three matches and the first

time this season Cardiff have conceded more than one goal in their

own backyard.

Gayle was afforded space to try and double his tally after 63

minutes but his low powerful shot was tipped wide by Marshall.

Heidar Helguson later outmuscled Gabriel Zakuani to carve out a

shooting opportunity, only to hook just wide from inside the


Gayle should have put the game beyond doubt but somehow

contrived to fire straight at Marshall from four yards, and Cardiff

ensured a tense finish for the visitors when Gestede turned in

Turner’s flick on.

But, despite six minutes of stoppage time, there was to be no

sting in the tail.