‘Business as usual’ for Coventry

Artur Boruc says he is pleased that the bottle-throwing incident

that marred the start of his Southampton career is behind him.

The goalkeeper launched the bottle towards his own supporters on

his home debut against Tottenham in October after hearing racial

abuse coming from the stands.

No action was taken against the Polish stopper or the supporters

involved, but he was promptly dropped by former manager Nigel

Adkins and did not return to the side until January.

But Boruc has told the press in his homeland that he does not

feel any guilt about the incident.

He said: “I won’t say I regret it, because I heard insults from

the stands. Racist ones.

“But I blamed myself for it because I gave Adkins the reason

that he could sit me on the bench,” he added.

The 33-year-old has now established himself as first-choice

under new manager Mauricio Pochettino and has won over the Saints

fans with a string of good performances, most-notably delighting

the support with a crucial last-minute penalty save in the 0-0 draw

at Norwich earlier this month.

And Boruc, who confirmed his agent is in negotiations to agree a

contract extension, says the experience has been

character-building.

“The coach had his vision and I was a bit angry,” he said. “But

I like such challenges, and feel good when I hit the bottom,

because you can start from scratch.”

It was confirmed on Thursday that Coventry City Football Club

Limited had gone into administration.

However, this company is distinct from Coventry City Football

Club (Holdings), which runs the football operation.

It means that Paul Appleton, managing partner of David Rubin

& Partners LLP, has been able to offer Pressley assurances

about his squad, including confirmation they will continue to be

paid as normal.

“I was pleased to meet with Steven and give him reassurances

that, as far as what happens on the pitch and in the general

running of the Club, it is absolutely business as usual with the

operating company executives very much in charge,” said

Appleton.

“Steven, the players and all the staff at the football club will

continue to be paid as normal by the operating company which is not

in administration – that is an important message I was keen to put

across.”

The administration issue centres around the costs involved with

playing at the Ricoh Arena, which Coventry moved into eight years

ago.

A High Court judge is next week due to analyse the finances of

the club after the owner of the stadium said it was owed rent.

Arena Coventry said earlier this month that it was owed more

than ?1.3 million and planned to ask a High Court judge to place

the club into administration.

Lawyers representing Arena Coventry appeared at the High Court

in London today to outline the latest state of play.

They said Arena Coventry bosses had been concerned by a

statement made by the club earlier this week – and needed more time

to consider their position.

A judge adjourned the hearing until Tuesday.

Eighth-placed Coventry travel to bottom-of-the-table Portsmouth

– a club placed into administration more than a year ago – on

Saturday.

There has been talk of City reaching a ground-share agreement

with one of their Midlands neighbours before building a stadium of

their own, even though the 32,000 Ricoh Arena is a newly-built

stadium.

It is now thought Coventry will have a 10-point deduction

imposed by the Football League, which would end any outside chance

of promotion from League One, City having mounted a successful run

under Pressley, who was only appointed as Mark Robins’ successor a

fortnight ago.