Bristol City grind out a point

Tom Heaton’s superb save helped Bristol City earn a vital point

in their battle for Championship survival after Blackpool were held

0-0 at Bloomfield Road.

The former Manchester United goalkeeper did superbly well to

keep out Kirk Broadfoot’s header in a match of few chances.

And his vital stop meant the Robins moved within two points of

safety despite falling to the foot of the league while Blackpool

are still without a goal or a win since Paul Ince’s return.

It was the home side that had the first real opportunity of a

quiet start in the 17th minute when Matt Phillips’ cross found Matt

Derbyshire but Liam Fontaine did enough to stop the former

Blackburn man from testing Heaton.

The Robins, buoyed by relegation rivals Wolves’ draw on Friday

night, then had three half-chances in quick succession blocked by

Blackpool defenders with Marvin Elliott, Lewin Nyatanga and Jon

Stead all trying their luck from distance.

Stead’s goalscoring ability helped City record a vital victory

against Barnsley last Saturday and he was next to threaten with a

looping header from the centre of the penalty area on the half hour

mark which was comfortable for Matt Gilks.

Paul Anderson was next to threaten in a half of few clear-cut

chances, but the former Liverpool winger fired just over the

crossbar after being found by Stephen Pearson.

The home side, aiming to take their unbeaten run in Championship

matches against the Robins to five, had half-chances of their own

before the break with Tom Ince warming the gloves of Heaton and

Derbyshire volleying wide from 12 yards on the stroke of


Ambitious efforts from Greg Cunningham and Angel Martinez were a

long way from testing either goalkeeper at the start of the second

45 as Blackpool’s drought without a goal looked set to


It was City doing all the pushing as they looked for a crucial

three points and, after heading straight at Gilks, Steven Davies

had the ball in the net but the former Derby man was flagged for


Manager Ince introduced Nathan Delfouneso and the Aston Villa

loanee was agonisingly close to connecting with Alex Baptiste’s

ball just two minutes after replacing Neal Eardley.

A minute later they carved out the best chance of the game for

Broadfoot but Heaton was up to the challenge and the former Cardiff

stopper did superbly well to keep out the Scot’s header from Ince’s


O’Driscoll responded by introducing Ghana winger Albert Adomah

with eight minutes remaining but the ex-Barnet man could not light

up a forgettable 90 minutes as the Robins drew 0-0 for the first

time this season.