Blues spank Saints, Macc shock

Sunderland mounted a stirring fight-back from 2-0 down to avoid

embarrassment in their FA Cup clash with Bolton, securing a 2-2

draw at the Reebok Stadium.

The Championship side looked to be in control of the third round

clash as dismal defending allowed Lee Chung-yong to open the

scoring in the 12th minute before Marvin Sordell took advantage of

more shoddy play at the back to double their lead early in the

second period.

But the introduction of striker Connor Wickham swung the tie

back towards the Premier League outfit as he levelled on the hour

mark before Craig Gardner drilled home a superb equaliser from

outside the box with 15 minutes to go.

Bolton stunned their more illustrious visitors by converting

their first chance. With the ball moved to the left of Sunderland’s

defence, goalkeeper Simon Mignolet had shuffled across to offer an

outlet, but when Carlos Cuellar inexplicably squared the ball

across the edge of the penalty area straight to Lee the Belgian was

out of position.

Bolton’s South Korea international wasted no time in sweeping

home a first-time shot. It would be an over-statement to suggest

the goal sparked the Black Cats into life, but they at least began

to exert some influence on a game which had hitherto passed them

by. They were not helped by the loss of left-back Danny Rose to a

hamstring injury, which forced midfielder Jack Colback to come on

in his place.

David Vaughan’s long-range effort was comfortably stopped by

second-choice goalkeeper Andy Lonergan, making only his second

appearance of the season. Lonergan had a lucky escape when he

punched a Sebastian Larsson corner on to the head of Darren Pratley

and could only watch it rebounded over the crossbar, but he did

better to turn away Andy Johnson’s inswinging free-kick.

Sunderland’s top-scorer Steven Fletcher was having one of those

days and headed a corner over just before half-time. It was to

prove costly as three minutes after the interval Sordell added the

second from a poorly-defended corner.

Lee’s cross was nodded goalward by the unchallenged Keith

Andrews and the England Under-21 international headed the ball into

the corner of the net for only his second goal since arriving last

January from Watford for ?3million.

Seconds later Lonergan belied his lack of activity this season,

brilliantly throwing up an arm to deny Fletcher’s close-range

diving header. However, another Fletcher header – and he had many

throughout the afternoon – led to the visitors pulling one back on

the hour.

The Scotland international’s effort looked set to creep under

the crossbar and, although Lonergan did well to keep it out, he was

powerless to prevent substitute Wickham firing home at the far post

from the resulting corner.

Sunderland’s aerial superiority was something they had not taken

advantage of all afternoon, but Wickham’s arrival gave them another

target to hit, although when he headed back across an open goal

there was no team-mate available to convert.

Lonergan, scrambling across his line, kept out yet another

Fletcher header as the visitors piled on the pressure and they drew

level 15 minutes from time when Gardner fired home a trademark

long-range effort. The visitors pushed for a winner late on, but

but in truth Martin O’Neill’s side will have been relieved just to

take the tie back to the Stadium of Light.

Rafa Benitez’s Blues eased past Saints at St Mary’s as Ba bagged

a brace on his debut.

The Saints went ahead in the 22nd minute, Jason Puncheon

slipping the ball through to Jay Rodriguez who ran on to the


However, Ba scored 10 minutes before the break. Eden Hazard made

his way down the left and threaded the ball through to Juan Mata

whose shot from an acute angle was followed in by Ba.

The Blues took the lead on the stroke of half-time, Ashley Cole

and Victor Moses enjoying a fine exchange before the latter fired


Chelsea all but confirmed progress with a third goal through

Branislav Ivanovic who headed home Mata’s cross (52).

Ba made it four (61) and Frank Lampard completed the scoring

with a late penalty (83).

There were four shocks on Saturday, with non-league Luton and

Macclesfield taking the plaudits along with Brighton and


Two goals in the last five minutes by Matthew Barnes-Homer saw

Conference side Macclesfield claim a 2-1 win over Championship

leaders Cardiff.

The Bluebirds went ahead when Nathaniel Jarvis forced the ball

home from close range but Macclesfield levelled when Barnes-Homer

slotted into the centre of the goal with five minutes to go.

The game was turned completely on its head when Barnes-Homer

scored from the penalty spot with two minutes to go after he had

been fouled by Jarvis.

Luton had to endure nine minutes of injury time to send Wolves

out of the competition.

Alex Lawless fired the Hatters ahead just 34 seconds into the

second half as he lashed an unstoppable volley home at Kenilworth


The first match of the third round saw an upset too as Premier

League Newcastle went out 2-0 to Brighton at the Amex Stadium.

The Seagulls repeated last season’s cup heroics by dumping an

under-strength Magpies out of the competition with Andrea Orlandi

supplying an outstanding opener.

The first-half strike was born out of Wayne Bridge’s willingness

to chase a seemingly lost cause, but it was Orlandi’s touch, turn

and fine shot that stole the show.

The second was delivered by substitute Will Hoskins, who tucked

home David Lopez’s defence-splitting pass, as the play-off hopefuls

completed a comfortable win.

Newcastle were further frustrated by captain Shola Ameobi’s

second-half sending off.

Ameobi was deeply unlucky to receive the second yellow from

referee Lee Probert and will miss Saturday’s match against


At the City Ground, Robbie Simpson scored twice as League One

Oldham won 3-1 against Nottingham Forest.

Matt Smith’s 13th-minute own goal put the hosts in front but the

Latics levelled with a shot from distance by Simpson.

Simpson headed home four minutes later and things got worse for


Danny Collins was given a straight red card for a foul on Matt

Smith and from the resulting free-kick Jose Baxter made it 3-1.

Bournemouth had to settle for a replay against Wigan after a 1-1

draw at the DW Stadium

The League One side took the lead four minutes before the break

thanks to a fine goal by Eunan O’Kane.

However, the Premier League side levelled through a fortuitous

penalty with Jordi Gomez’s spot-kick parried by the keeper but the

midfielder pounced on the rebound to slot home with 20 minutes


A stoppage-time goal by Nick Proschwitz saw Hull scrape a 1-1

draw against Leyton Orient at the KC Stadium.

The League One side went ahead with 12 minutes to go when Dean

Cox’s cross was met with a bullet header by David Mooney.

However, Proschwitz’s downward header earned a replay for the

Championship high-flyers.

Fulham needed an equaliser 10 minutes from time to earn a 1-1

draw at home to Blackpool.

Ludovic Sylvestre put the Seasiders ahead with half an hour to

go when he fired home a 25-yard shot.

However, Robert Harris’ clearance from Bryan Ruiz’s corner could

only find Giorgos Karagounis on the edge of the box and he looped a

volley into the net.

Sunderland came from two goals down to claim a 2-2 draw at


The Trotters went ahead in the 12th minute following a defensive

mistake by Carlos Cuellar, his ball pounced on by Chung-Yong Lee

whose low shot went into the centre of the goal.

Poor defending again saw Bolton double their lead as Marvin

Sordell slotted home into the bottom left-hand corner from close


Connor Wickham gave Sunderland hope just a minute after coming

on (60) and Craig Gardner sent an unstoppable equaliser into the

roof of the net from 35 yards with 15 minutes left.

Aston Villa came from behind to beat Ipswich 2-1.

Michael Chopra pounced just after the half-hour for the visitors

but Villa made a perfect start to the second half, Darren Bent

stabbing home after good work by Charles N’Zogbia just 36 seconds

after the break.

Gabriel Agbonlahor put a fine ball in which found Andreas

Weimann who powered home a header to give Villa the lead with seven

minutes to go.

Manchester City were also never threatened as they beat Watford


Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and debutant Marcos Lopes got the


Reading came from a goal down after 14 seconds to win 3-1 at

League One Crawley.

Nicky Adams fired Crawley ahead but two from Adam Le Fondre and

a Noel Hunt strike saw the Royals through.

Norwich eased to a 3-0 victory at Championship Peterborough.

Elliott Bennett put the Premier League side ahead after half an

hour following Robert Snodgrass’ pass and they doubled their lead

four minutes before the break, Simeon Jackson getting in behind the


Snodgrass got a third with 20 minutes left.

Clint Dempsey and Gareth Bale tormented Coventry as Tottenham

eased to a 3-0 win.

In an all-Premier League clash, QPR and West Brom drew 1-1.

Shane Long put the Baggies ahead with a low shot with 11 minutes

to go before Kieron Dyer levelled in injury time.

Crystal Palace and Stoke shared a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park.

Hastings’ on-loan goalkeeper Liam O’Brien saved a penalty from

Ishmael Miller before Middlesbrough went on to win 4-1.

Merouane Zemmama (two), Andrew Halliday and Miller scored for

Boro with Bradley Goldburg on target for Hastings.

Leeds and Birmingham drew 1-1, Huddersfield won 1-0 at Charlton

who had Dorian Dervite sent off, Blackburn beat Bristol City 2-0

and Barnsley won 1-0 against 10-man Burnley.

Danny Hylton scored a hat-trick and was then sent off for

serious foul play as Aldershot beat Rotherham 3-1 with both sides

finishing with 10 men, Leicester won 2-0 over Burton, Derby eased

past Tranmere 5-0, Sheffield United won 3-0 at Oxford and Sheffield

Wednesday drew 0-0 with MK Dons.

Millwall beat Preston 1-0 while Southend drew 2-2 with