Bhoys beaten, Dons up to second

Charlie Adam scored the only goal as Stoke secured their third

Premier League win of the campaign against Fulham at the Britannia


Adam notched the decisive strike on 26 minutes – his second goal

in three games following his winner against Norwich – after Peter

Crouch had headed down Ryan Shotton’s cross.

Ryan Shawcross headed against the woodwork and Stoke had a late

Kenwyne Jones’ effort rightly disallowed for offside at the death

as they deservedly claimed the three points to stretch their

unbeaten league run at home to 13 games.

The win sees Tony Pulis’ side climb up to 11th in the table on

16 points, the same total as Fulham, who stay ninth and are now

winless in their last five games.

In driving rain, it was the visitors who made the brighter

start, with Giorgos Karagounis lashing an effort across goal and

wide on two minutes.

At the other end, Robert Huth headed wide from Matthew

Etherington’s corner on the quarter hour-mark and the Potters

continued to pressurise, with Adam sending the ball over after

juggling it in the area.

Moments later the Scotland midfielder scored, taking one touch

in the six-yard box when Crouch headed Shotton’s cross his way

before swivelling and firing the ball in.

The hosts kept up the momentum as Glenn Whelan tried his luck

from the edge of the area, drilling wide, and Shawcross almost made

it 2-0 in the 36th minute when he clattered a header against the


Fulham immediately broke forward, with Mladen Petric coming to

meet a cross into the box but unable to finish, and Dimitar

Berbatov – captain for the day in place of the suspended Brede

Hangeland – then saw a delivery into the danger-zone scrambled


Soon after the restart, Whelan scooped an effort over from Jon

Walters’ tee-up while at the other end Karagounis had a shot

balloon over.

Adam saw an effort deflect wide and Mark Schwarzer then tipped

away a header by Huth from one Etherington corner, before Shawcross

nodded another off target.

Fulham then went close as Berbatov’s drive was saved by Begovic,

while substitute Jones thought he had doubled his side’s lead in

the dying moments, but was flagged offside.

At Parkhead, Billy McKay’s second-half goal gave Caley all three

points against lacklustre Celtic – but the Hoops still stayed top

of the table.

Following their 2-1 Champions League defeat by Benfica in Lisbon

in midweek, Hoops boss Neil Lennon had claimed fatigue was

impacting on his squad and it looked that way as they never got

going against the neat and tidy visitors.

Kris Commons and Mikael Lustig missed good chances for the home

side in an otherwise dull first half but there was no second-half

surge from the champions and indeed, after McKay notched in the

65th minute from close range, he later spurned a good chance to

double their lead when he hit the bar with only Fraser Forster to


Aberdeen moved into second place thanks to a 1-0 away victory

over Hibernian, who missed the chance to replace Celtic at the


Niall McGinn struck 14 minutes from time to give the visitors

the spoils as they moved level on points with Hibs, with both clubs

just a solitary point behind leaders the Hoops.

The home side were the better team throughout, with Craig Brown

making a half-time tactical shuffle to try and shift the attacking

flow in Aberdeen’s favour.

It may not have had the desired effect on the overall play,

where Hibernian were still superior, but provided his team with the

ammunition they required to take all three points.

Rowan Vine struck two minutes from time to hand St Johnstone a

2-1 victory over Kilmarnock in what was a bad-tempered clash at

Rugby Park.

Home captain Manuel Pascali was controversially sent-off after

four minutes, for a two-footed challenge on Nigel Hasselbaink.

Murray Davidson slotted the away side ahead on the half-hour

mark, however the hosts battled back and grabbed a deserved

equaliser seven minutes from the end when Michael Nelson headed

home from James Dayton’s free-kick.

The game looked set for a stalemate but Vine fired home on 88

minutes to clinch all three points for Steve Lomas’ side.

Dundee United came from behind to snatch a 2-1 victory over Ross

County in an action-packed second half at Global Energy


After a goalless first half Iain Vigurs gave County the lead in

the 48th minute with a glancing header.

Johnny Russell equalised within four minutes after he beat

County goalkeeper Michael Fraser to a long ball on the edge of the

18-yard box – and United grabbed the winner in the 65th minute when

Stuart Armstrong nodded in a Jon Daly knockdown.

Steven Thompson grabbed a double as St Mirren ended a poor run

of results with a 3-1 win over bottom side Dundee in Paisley.

Thompson struck on either side of a Ryan Conroy penalty, before

Dougie Imrie put the gloss on the win with his first goal for the

club against 10-man Dundee.

The victory ended a run of six straight defeats in the SPL for

Saints, who headed into the clash just a single point ahead of

their opponents.

Earlier in the day, Motherwell again failed to find the net at

Fir Park as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Hearts in a

disappointing contest.

The home side had the better of the second half after a poor

first 45 minutes but their final ball was lacking.

Hearts had a penalty claim rejected when Darren Randolph caught

Callum Paterson with his knee as he collected a high ball but

referee Crawford Allan was the best-placed man in the stadium to

judge and did not appear to think twice about ignoring the