Barca won’t go back in for Robinho
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has claimed Manchester City
rejected the Spanish club’s initial offer for Robinho – and he will
not bid again.
The Brazil playmaker has previously indicated he would
welcome a move to the Nou Camp, prompting Barca to open
negotiations with City.
But the Eastlands club, now under new coach Roberto Mancini,
turned down Barca’s opening bid.
Laporta, speaking in an interview with Catalan radio station
Rac1, said: “We are very happy with the squad but if we have to
make any improvements we will do.
“The conditions we set out for Robinho were not acceptable to
City and since the squad are developing so well, unless there are
any unforeseen last-minute changes we will not be signing anyone in
Laporta was delighted with the club’s latest success as they
clinched the World Club Cup crown – beating Estudiantes 2-1 in
Saturday’s final in Abu Dhabi – to record their sixth trophy win of
an amazing 2009.
“We must enjoy the moment but also keep going,” he added.
“We have all lived through winning a very special title
especially when you bear in mind our predecessors could not manage
“It was very emotional, seeing (coach) Pep (Guardiola)
“It’s a huge boost to morale and confirmation that Barca are
the best in the world.”
Laporta also suggested central defender Gerard Pique would be
offered a new contract before he stands down as president in the
“I hope to do so (renew Pique’s deal) before the end of my
mandate,” he said.
“He is one of the best central defenders in the world.”