Appleton warning over Olsson

Young goalkeeper Karl Darlow will be Nottingham Forest’s number

one for the foreseeable future.

Darlow was recalled from a loan spell at Walsall by boss Alex

McLeish and then handed his full league debut for the club against

Peterborough, helping McLeish gain his first win since taking over

at the City Ground.

Darlow got his chance after McLeish informed long-time number

one Lee Camp, whose contract is set to expire in the summer, that

he could leave Forest this month.

McLeish had previously stated that the 22-year-old would play

while he searched for an experienced keeper to replace Camp.

But after signing Khalid Al Rashidi this week, the Scot revealed

that Darlow and the Kuwait international will battle it out for the

number one spot.

“The only keeper coming in will be Khalid, we have successfully

secured a work permit for him,” said McLeish.

“He will be back-up to Karl Darlow until he acclimatises, then

it will be a big fight between the two guys.”

Edu has signed a deal with the Turkish outfit after making only

one first-team appearance for Stoke – as an 80th-minute substitute

– since joining them from Rangers in August.

Referring to the United States international on Thursday, Pulis

said: “He has come in and not got any games.

“That has been disappointing for Maurice and he needs to play

games, to maintain his opportunity of playing for his country.

“So the club (Bursaspor) has come in and it is a decent club. We

have had offers in England as well for Maurice to go and play, so

he has got one or two options, which is good.

“Having bought him, and then for him to have then not gotten

into the team, we can actually monitor him now for the next three

or four months.”

Meanwhile, reports have suggested Swansea – who take on Stoke in

Saturday’s Premier League clash at the Liberty Stadium – have had a

?3million bid for Potters striker Jones rejected.

That is something Pulis was more reluctant to speak about at his

press conference to preview the trip to Wales.

Asked about Jones, the manager said: “If there is going to be

anything done with another football club, we will do our business

with the football club.

“If we sell Kenwyne, then I will speak to you about it. If we

don’t sell Kenwyne, then I will speak to you about it, and then you

can ask me why we did one or the other.”

Jones, recruited by Stoke in 2010 for a then-club record

?8million from Sunderland, has enjoyed some form after coming back

into the first XI in December in place of Peter Crouch, who had

injured his mouth in a collision with Newcastle’s Fabricio

Coloccini.

The Trinidadian has started every league game since, scoring

four goals in all competitions, including one as a substitute in

Tuesday’s 4-1 extra-time FA Cup third-round replay victory over

Crystal Palace.

And while cagey on the issue of keeping or selling the

28-year-old, Pulis did admit it would be a “big decision” for him

to make over whether or not Jones would start on Saturday.

Pulis said: “It will be a big decision, and that is not because

of whether he is going to Swansea or not – it is just about whether

or not I think it is right to start him.

“He did brilliantly the other night when he came on, a bit like

Cameron (Jerome, who also scored).

“He really changed it for us and sometimes it is really nice to

have those people on the bench.”

Pulis is set to recall goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and midfielder

Charlie Adam, both of whom he rested on Tuesday, for the Swansea

match.

Andy Wilkinson came off against Palace due to a back problem and

is a doubt, as is fellow full-back Ryan Shotton (hamstring), while

winger Jermaine Pennant has returned to the Potters early from his

loan spell at Wolves but will not feature at the weekend.

Defender Marc Wilson, out since breaking his leg in October, is

back in training but not yet ready for selection, nor is midfielder

Rory Delap (calf).

Hammers manager Sam Allardyce lodged a ?2million bid for the

Swede, which was turned down flat.

Although Allardyce had insisted he was not prepared to increase

the bid, it is thought a further offer may be on its way.

However, Olsson remains a Rovers player for now, with Appleton

insisting the 24-year-old will not be allowed to leave on the

cheap.

“Nothing is happening at the minute,” said Appleton.

“I was made aware of a bid that was put in before I took the

reins but it is way below the value we see him at.

“Until a bid reaches the valuation we think it should be, there

is not a conversation.

“Martin continues to be a Blackburn player.

“He is a fantastic player, an international with bags of talent,

and I am looking forward to working with him.”

However, with Olsson hoping to leave Ewood Park this month, a

transfer does seem likely eventually.

Indeed, Appleton believes a certain amount of movement would

actually be healthy for a club that desperately needs to kick-start

their season if they are to stand any chance of reclaiming their

top-flight status.

“We have a couple of weeks left,” he said.

“As with any football club, some players will leave, others will

come in. But a few new faces will do the club a world of good.

“It will bring fresh competition, but it has to be players who

will affect the starting XI, not the 18.”