Anfield evacuated after two men missing in security incident at the ground
Liverpool’s Anfield stadium has been evacuated as a precaution after an "incident" at the ground, the club have announced.
It has been reported that the evacuation was ordered after two men went missing inside the stadium.
The two men were reported to have done so at 1:30pm local time, and Merseyside Police were called to the stadium at 3:05pm as a consequence.
"There is an incident at Anfield stadium, and as a precautionary measure the facility has been evacuated," said a club spokesman.
"Our priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone at the ground. The emergency services are aware of the situation."
Merseyside Police released a statement on Tuesday evening which read: "Merseyside Police can confirm officers are in attendance following security concerns at Anfield Stadium today (Tuesday, 27 October).
"As a precautionary measure, the club has evacuated the stadium and officers are now carrying out enquiries at the scene."
Photos were posted on social media and in local news blogs appearing to show club staff and tourists standing outside the ground with police officers manning the gates to the ground.
Liverpool are due to face Bournemouth in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup at Anfield on Wednesday night.
A further Merseyside Police statement said a search of Anfield was taking place, with one man unaccounted for following a tour of the stadium.
The statement said: "Merseyside Police can confirm that a search of Anfield football stadium is currently under way after the club raised an alert earlier this afternoon.
"At 3.05pm, the club reported to Merseyside Police that the ground had been evacuated after a man who had been on a tour was unaccounted for and believed to be in the stadium.
"The club cannot guarantee that the man has left the ground and therefore a search of the ground is under way."