Adriano ordered to go on a diet, ‘locked’ at hotel

Corinthians is keeping former Brazil star Adriano at the team’s

hotel and is ordering him to go on a strict diet to try to get the

striker back in shape.

The team said Wednesday that Adriano will have to stay inside

the hotel at the team’s headquarters at least through the weekend,

eating only what doctors give him and practicing three times a

day.

Corinthians physical trainer Fabio Mahseredjian said the ”more

drastic” decision to lock Adriano up was made because the team

feels he won’t improve his condition unless he stops eating

excessively.

”We locked him here because this way we can have more control

of what he eats, of how he rests,” Mahseredjian said. ”You can

only lose weight if you stop eating.”

Mahseredjian said a team nutritionist has prepared a specific

diet for the 29-year-old Adriano. He will be receiving a

pre-prepared plate of food separately from the other players, and

especially picked snacks will be delivered to his room at

predetermined times during the day.

”We are doing everything we can to give him a chance to get

better,” Corinthians coach Tite said. ”We want what is best for

him and what is best for us.”

Adriano has played sparingly since recovering from surgery on

his Achilles tendon last year and is in danger of not being

included in the squad which will play in the Copa Libertadores.

The surgery was in April and Adriano only returned to action at

the end of the year, visibly out of shape. He came off the bench to

score a crucial winner for Corinthians in the final rounds of the

Brazilian league, helping the team get in position to eventually

win the title last year. He is yet to play in the 2012 Sao Paulo

state championship.

Mahseredjian said Adriano has reacted well to his

confinement.

”He knows we are trying to do what’s best for him,” he said.

”But he also needs to do his part. He needs to know that the older

you get, the harder it is (to remain in shape).

Local media reported that the lockup is Corinthians’ way of

giving Adriano a last chance to get his act together. Several club

directors and even some players have not been happy with the

striker, who reportedly missed dozens of physiotherapy session

without reasonable explanations.

Adriano made many headlines for off-the-field problems in recent

years, including his involvement in a minor car accident, a public

altercation with a girlfriend and even a police investigation for

alleged ties with drug lords in the shantytowns where he grew up –

although he was never charged.

More recently, a woman riding in Adriano’s car accused the

player of shooting her in the hand, but she later retracted and

said the weapon went off accidentally when she was holding it.

Adriano quit Inter Milan in 2009, saying he was not happy in

Italy and wanted to be closer to his friends. He missed several

practices with Flamengo in 2010, prompting a team director to

publicly say that the striker had a drinking problem.

Mahseredjian said he ”obviously” also asked Adriano to stay

away from alcohol as he tries to return to form.

Adriano played in the 2006 World Cup but missed the tournament

in South Africa despite leading Flamengo to the national title the

year before. He played for AS Roma before being signed by

Corinthians.

Follow Tales Azzoni at http://twitter.com/tazzoni