Wolverhampton 0-3 Manchester City

Roberto Mancini made it two wins from two games after goals from

Carlos Tevez and Javier Garrido earned Manchester City a 3-0 win

over Wolves.

Two goals from Tevez and a Javier Garrido free-kick secured

City their first away win in four months – and their second victory

in three days under new boss Roberto Mancini – at Molineux on

Monday night.

Tevez continued his hot scoring streak with his seventh and

eighth goals in his last seven appearances and his 11th of the


Substitute Garrido, frozen out of the first-team picture by

previous City boss Mark Hughes, netted the decisive second midway

through the second period.

It was the first away win in eight league games for City

since the 1-0 success at Portsmouth in late August and moved them

level on points with fifth-placed Aston Villa.

City always looked the more threatening once Mancini had

reverted to a 4-4-2 formation midway through the opening period.

Craig Bellamy was a constant menace to the Wolves rearguard

alongside Tevez and, with more clinical finishing, City could have

doubled their final tally.

Wolves showed plenty of endeavour and rattled the visitors in

the opening quarter of the game but they lacked quality in the

final third despite the physical threat of Chris Iwelumo.

Wolves’ leading scorer Kevin Doyle had the first effort on

goal but the club’s record signing dragged his 20-yard shot well

wide of Shay Given’s goal.

The first semblance of a chance fell to Wolves with Iwelumo

the creator.

The Scottish international headed a cross from Michael

Mancienne into the path of Andrew Surman 15 yards out but he failed

to keep his shot down.

Mancini looked concerned at his side’s lack of cohesion and

reverted to a 4-4-2 formation with Bellamy playing down the middle

alongside Tevez.

It appeared to reap its rewards with City immediately looking

more comfortable when going forward.

But Bellamy was guilty of a dreadful miss just after the half

hour mark.

Stephen Ireland’s first time centre was picked up by Tevez

who did well to get to the byline and turn the ball back across the


Bellamy was the first to react and the goal was gaping but

from eight yards out he shot over the bar.

Bellamy made amends by creating the opening goal for Tevez

after 33 minutes.

He cut in from the left and picked out Tevez whose first-time

shot took a deflection off Christophe Berra on its way past Marcus


Wolves tried to retaliate and Pablo Zabaleta became the first

player to be yellow carded for a foul on Ronald Zubar.

Tevez then showed his worth in a defensive capacity when

deflecting George Elokobi’s header wide from a Kevin Foley corner.

Berra did not return after the interval after landing on his

head following a clash with with Bellamy and was replaced by

Richard Stearman.

Bellamy should have doubled City’s lead after he beat the

offside trap to race onto a pass from Martin Petrov but his shot

flew wide of the far post.

Wolves responded and Iwelumo shot over when well placed after

taking a pass from Surman in his stride.

Mancini made his first change with Garrido replacing Stephen

Ireland who appeared to have taken a knock and went straight down

the players’ tunnel.

Shay Given was finally called into action just after the hour

mark when blocking a shot from Doyle with his legs after the

striker had robbed Toure.

Foley was booked after bringing down City midfielder Gareth


Mancienne was also booked for a foul on the England player

and it led to Garrido doubling their lead.

He curled his free-kick around the defensive wall and past a

flat-footed Hahnemann.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy was incensed because he felt

Bellamy should have been given offside in the move immediately

before the free-kick awarded against Mancienne.

Hahnemann’s frustration boiled over and he was also booked

after hurling the ball in the direction of a referee’s assistant.

The bookings were coming thick and fast with Tevez cautioned

after not retreating at a free-kick.

Tevez should have made it 3-0 but chipped his shot wide after

good play by Bellamy created the opening.

City substitute Robinho, who replaced Petrov, teed up Tevez

to score his second goal of the game with four minutes remaining.