Burnley 1-1 Stoke City

David Nugent netted for the second match in a row but Burnley had

to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw with Stoke at Turf Moor on


It means that while Brian Laws’ side move above Hull they

remain in the relegation zone.

Tuncay opened the scoring for Stoke in the 23rd minute but

Burnley rallied in the second half.

Laws, though, is finding it hard to make an impact since

replacing Owen Coyle as manager in January.

This was his ninth league match in charge and they have won

only won game. Next up are fellow strugglers Wolves on Saturday –

another massive clash.

Stoke almost made the breakthrough as early as the third

minute when Abdoulaye Faye clipped a shot wide of the post

following a corner from Liam Lawrence.

There followed a decent spell of pressure by Burnley but they

could not take take advantage.

Danny Fox whipped in a free-kick that was diverted to safety

by Danny Collins. Then Chris Eagles was set up by Martin Paterson

in the 14th minute following a short spell of pressure by the home


However the former Manchester United midfielder sent his

effort nearer the corner flag than the goal, much to his


Stoke again found themselves on the back foot when Jack Cork

found space in the area but like Eagles failed to test Thomas


The visiting goalkeeper, however, then turned away a low

drive from Fox in the 17th minute as Burnley stepped up the pace.

Stoke took the lead six minutes later following a long throw

from Rory Delap. It was flicked on by Mamady Sidibe to Tuncay, who

headed home.

Burnley came under pressure in the 31st minute when Matthew

Etherington released Delap, only for Graham Alexander to show good

positioning to block his shot.

Etherington then set up Tuncay in the area but his first

touch was poor and Leon Cort was able to get the ball away.

Burnley hit back and Eagles delivered a cross to Paterson at

the back post in the 39th minute. However he showed a lack of

confidence and sent his effort weakly into the side-netting.

Stoke responded and Etherington latched on to a good ball

from Andy Wilkinson and delivered it into the area – but Cort was

able to clear.

Burnley, however, made a bright start to the second period

and Eagles latched on to a pass from Nugent.

He skipped forward to the edge of the area only to go to

ground following a challenge from Delap.

Eagles appealed for a free-kick but referee Howard Webb would

have none of it and allowed play to continue.

Burnley stunned Stoke by drawing level in the 52nd minute

with a goal out of nothing.

Paterson turned Collins inside out before delivering a superb

cross deep into the area.

Nugent was the first to react and left Sorensen stranded with

a powerful header – his sixth goal for the club.

It was an open game now with both sides going for the win,

rather than settling for a point.

Etherington tried to release Wilkinson in the 82nd minute but

goalkeeper Brian Jensen anticipated, then a minute later substitute

Dave Kitson made space for himself before rattling in a shot which

tested Jensen.

Burnley came close to getting the winner in the closing

moments of the game with Eagles sending a shot over the bar and

substitute McDonald finding the wrong side of the post with his