NBA could announce findings on Blake Griffin Wednesday
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Clippers will decide whether Blake Griffin joins them for the team’s upcoming road trip after the NBA announces the results of its investigation of the star forward’s punching of an assistant equipment manager.
Griffin broke his shooting hand in the Jan. 23 incident in Toronto between him and Matias Testi. Both men were sent back to Los Angeles, and Griffin hasn’t been at Staples Center for the team’s recent home games against the Lakers and Bulls.
The team is keeping him away from the media until the NBA announces the results of its investigation, which could happen on Wednesday, when the Clippers host Minnesota. Testi also has been absent while he recovers from facial injuries.
"It’s over with as far as we’re concerned," coach Doc Rivers said Tuesday at practice. "The only thing is we have to get the punishment from the league and see where we’re going. Other than that, we’re good."
The team completed its own investigation into the altercation last week.
Rivers said he hopes Testi can rejoin the team for its four-game trip beginning Friday at Orlando. He has spoken to both Griffin and Testi, who were friends before the incident.
Rivers said he’s aware of similar incidents that have occurred in the NBA, and he expressed optimism that Griffin and Testi could coexist peacefully going forward.
"It’s going to be healed," he said. "It’s going to be OK."
Griffin is out for at least a month because of his right hand, giving him additional time to recover from a partially torn left quad tendon that had sidelined him since Dec. 26.