SAN DIEGO PADRES ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO PETCO PARK DIMENSIONS FOR 2013
SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Padres today announced plans to move in portions of the outfield wall at Petco Park for the 2013 season. The changes will affect right, right center and left center field. Construction will also include the relocation of the visitors’ bullpen off the field, addressing a potential player safety risk.
“Our goal is to move Petco Park away from being the most extreme run suppressing ballpark in Major League Baseball,” said Padres Executive Chairman Ron Fowler. “After an extensive study, it became clear to all of us that some change was needed. Petco will still be a pitcher’s park; however, it will no longer be the outlier.”
Article continues below ...
From the right field porch to the right center gap, the wall will be moved in 11 feet, and lowered to match the sub-eight-foot height in left field and center field. The out-of-town scoreboard that is currently along the right field wall will be relocated to a new spot above right field as part of seating modifications that will be announced at a later date.
Additionally, at the deepest point in left center field, the fence will be moved in from 402 feet to 390 feet. That modification will alter the setup of the home bullpen and will allow for the visiting team’s bullpen to be relocated to the area behind the home bullpen.
Major League Baseball and San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders’ office have been informed of the modification plans and construction is set to begin this week.
Petco Park 2012 2013 Left Field Line 336’ 336’ Left Center 402’ 390’ Straightaway Center 396’ 396’ Right Center 402’ 391’ Right Field Line 322’ 322’
Description of the changes to the outfield dimensions at Petco Park in 2013
– The distance down the right field foul line will remain the same at 322 feet.
– From the right field porch to the right center field gap, the fence will be moved in 11 feet and lowered to match the sub-eight-foot height in left and center field.
– The out-of-town scoreboard will be relocated.
– At right center field, the distance will decrease from 402 feet to 391 feet.
– The distance at straightaway center field will remain the same at 396 feet.
– The deepest portion of the left center field gap will be decreased from 402 feet to 390 feet.
– The home bullpen will be reconfigured to allow for the visitors’ bullpen to be relocated from the field to the area behind the home bullpen.
– The dimensions from left center field to the left field foul line will remain the same.
– The distance at straightaway left field will remain the same at 357 feet.
– The distance down the left field foul line will remain the same at 336 feet.